Valued Contributor

Hello,

I sympathize with you. I had some abdominal pain for a few days that I thought was just a strange indigestion. I continued working out, bike riding and running. In three days I went from a bit of pain to a diabetic coma. Unfortunately I have a very high tolerance for pain, so what would send one person to the ER, I just deal with, to my own detriment.  Apparently my immune system attacked my pancreas and knocked out all the beta cells (which produce insulin). When I was stabilized the doctors kept asking my two adult children if I was pregnant (which at my age would be a miraculous event) or if I drink. I have never drank alcohol. I only drink bottled water or decaf green tea. It was the nurses that let the doctor know that pancreatitis is not only a disease of heavy drinkers and that they needed to quit asking that and look for another cause.

I hope you feel better soon, and don't let anyone make you feel like you have to justify yourself.

(Another thing that truly aggravates me is those militant people who think all diabetes is caused by sugary drinks, obesity and a high fat diet. While that may be true of some cases, it is certainly not  true in all.) 

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

Hello,

I sympathize with you. I had some abdominal pain for a few days that I thought was just a strange indigestion. I continued working out, bike riding and running. In three days I went from a bit of pain to a diabetic coma. Unfortunately I have a very high tolerance for pain, so what would send one person to the ER, I just deal with, to my own detriment.  Apparently my immune system attacked my pancreas and knocked out all the beta cells (which produce insulin). When I was stabilized the doctors kept asking my two adult children if I was pregnant (which at my age would be a miraculous event) or if I drink. I have never drank alcohol. I only drink bottled water or decaf green tea. It was the nurses that let the doctor know that pancreatitis is not only a disease of heavy drinkers and that they needed to quit asking that and look for another cause.

I hope you feel better soon, and don't let anyone make you feel like you have to justify yourself.

(Another thing that truly aggravates me is those militant people who think all diabetes is caused by sugary drinks, obesity and a high fat diet. While that may be true of some cases, it is certainly not  true in all.) 

How scary and awful! Hope you're much better now. As to the rest of your post - 👏👍

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor
I got discharged today. A long 8 days. Soooo many tests. It's still "idiopathic" meaning they can't be sure what caused it. The "theory" is that it was a steroid shot my doc gave me about 12 days prior followed by prednisone for an unrelated illness. The only reason they aren't sure is because I have been on prednisone in the past with no issues. Alcohol definitely is not the cause, for me.
Honored Contributor

@MommaNJ629 wrote:
I got discharged today. A long 8 days. Soooo many tests. It's still "idiopathic" meaning they can't be sure what caused it. The "theory" is that it was a steroid shot my doc gave me about 12 days prior followed by prednisone for an unrelated illness. The only reason they aren't sure is because I have been on prednisone in the past with no issues. Alcohol definitely is not the cause, for me.

So, steroids (or maybe too much steroids at one time?) might be a cause. Yikes, as many people get prescribed steroids for a variety of conditions.

Glad you were able to go home, and hope you're feeling better fast.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My cousin was dead in 3 days after a bout with acute pancreatitis, and yes he was an alcoholic.

Occasional Contributor

@MommaNJ629 wrote:
I have bad case. I'm 35. I drink maybe once in 2 months. They are calling it "idiopathic" but boy does it hurt. It's really the worst pain I ever felt in middle to left. I'm on day 6 and it's still not done. I can barely eat. I still have pain.

I'm so sorry that you have been diagnosed with ideopathic pancreatitis.  I have had several bouts of  pancreatitis associated with Sjogren's Syndrome and it certainly is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.  I hope you are feeling better soon.