Honored Contributor
My husband is diabetic with severe neuropathy in his feet and legs. A Doppler study four years ago, showed slight reduction in blood flow in one leg. He is now complaining of more pain in that leg, so his doctor has scheduled him for an MRI to check for a blockage.
Super Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Harpa said:

I don't know about painful, but I've had achy sometimes. I heard it was a magnesium deficiency. Taking an extra mag supplement at night does seem to help! Potassium helps with any cramping.

Also, peppermint lotion to massage. Avalon Organics has a nice one. If not a lotion, I would even prepare peppermint tea and apply. (Apply in long strokes towards the heart.) But since mint is a stimulant, I've only used it in the a.m. This also helps, especially if you are standing or walking a lot throughout the day.

One other and that is to elevate your legs in bed. I'm a back sleeper, and I always sleep with a pillow under my legs.

(Besides staying hydrated.)

ITA! Taking magnesium, potassium, avoiding caffeine after lunch and staying hydrated has helped my achy legs tremendously. I also do some simple warm up yoga exercises late in the evening if I have time.

Contributor
On 9/24/2014 Shelbybiskit said:

Hi My3girls. I wanted to answer your question. I don't take anything except prevacid, so this isn't an issue for me. I have had so many situations where I KNOW something is causing a side effect, even though doctors will swear it's not. When you change that one thing, you feel better. You can't argue with success. I'm so glad you realized what was causing your pain and are able to fix it. Still praying for the answers for myself. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond.

Thank you so much for your reply! I so hope it's an easy fix for you and you feel better soon. I know how frustrating it is when you feel like you have no control. I will be looking for your updates!!
Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 Shelbybiskit said:

Hi Everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any input on this problem I'm having. I have an appointment with my doc. Just doing a little research to know what to expect. My legs have been aching lately a lot. I've also been tired. I did blood work and it showed nothing but borderline anemia. I know I will probably be seeing a cardiologist eventually about this. I am nervous and a little scared. Thanks for any input.

The word "aching" can be a very subjective word when it comes to the physical feelings of humans. Tired is pretty much the same thing to be, where the word "exhausted" is more specific.

Borderline Anemia? That too doesn't say much to me and I have had many bouts, for years at times, with anemia. I've mentioned here over the years that when one has blood word done, "get the numbers" don't settle for "normal/borderline", numbers are what count and they you do your own research and decide what is "normal" for you.

To my Hematologist 9.0 was "below normal", for me. However, since I've had 2 heart attacks, 10.0 is "below normal" for me, to my Cardiologist.

While some physical things can cause some to be nervous and scared, since you are eliminating things with different doctors, that should help ease some of these feelings. Bodies go through many different types of feelings, one gender more than the other, and much of the time the diagnosis turns out to be nothing serious.

I could throw a whole bunch of "could be reason" for what you are describing, but your doctors can tell you for sure much more specific answers that can I.

Best thing I can offer you is to be optimistic, always!

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
On 9/24/2014 Shelbybiskit said:

Hi My3girls. I wanted to answer your question. I don't take anything except prevacid, so this isn't an issue for me. I have had so many situations where I KNOW something is causing a side effect, even though doctors will swear it's not. When you change that one thing, you feel better. You can't argue with success. I'm so glad you realized what was causing your pain and are able to fix it. Still praying for the answers for myself. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond.

Hi. Have you researched the effects of prolonged use of Prevacid? I had to take it for years.
Super Contributor

when my legs ached it was due to my two bad arthritic knees.... horrible pain down my legs. With knee replacement the pain is GONE. DO you have bad knees?

Otherwise I would suggest you go to a doctor who specializes in vascular issues. I personally have vascular issues in my calves and wear knee high compression hose and I get great relief. The compression hose of today is modern fun and hip... not like in the old days. You can not tell them from regular socks. You may have varicose veins that are blocking blood flow. Very common the older we get. I hope you find out what it is and get relief. I understand pain and would not wish it on anyone.

Super Contributor

It could be merely a vitamin deficiency or a side effect to a statin if you are taking one for cholesterol.

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 shoekitty said:
On 9/23/2014 misspammie said:

Maybe this won't help, but I do get leg cramps especially in bed. I've found that drinking Quinine water before bed helps. My problem sounds like much a lesser problem, but just thought I'd let it be known for others. Hope you find some comfort.

My husband takes quinine every night/ He gets the sugar free, aas it is loaded with sugar, but the quinine works! He takes Lupron, and gets horrible leg pains and cramps. The Doctors don't know if is the Lupron, but they know the cure. Quinine works for most leg pain and cramps

Quoted from Live Science:

While approved by the FDA to treat malaria, quinine is not approved for its off-label use in treating nighttime leg cramps. In 2010, the FDA announced that it had received 38 reports over a three-year period of serious side effects resulting from quinine use, including blood disorders and two deaths.

Respected Contributor

I've experienced night-time leg aches for as long as I can remember. As a child my parents wrote it off as growing pains.

While I also get pains in wrists and other joints occasionally (especially in cold damp weather) the leg aches have remained continuous throughout the years; These were made worse by chemo-induced (2011/2012) residual neuropathy.

I've had every cardio test out there & they haven't revealed any issues. The problem is even with the dye injection treadmill stress test you can have up to something like 75-80% blockage which won't necessarily be detected. EBCT's use way too much radiation and I wouldn't dream of going that route again-knowing what I now know.

I too am slightly anemic. My hemoglobin numbers have yo-yo'ed to the point it's become an issue of concern by my oncologist;

Not much help, but know you're not alone. I have a lot of people in my life who complain about leg aches- especially and some exclusively at night. At this stage I personally would seek the help of a naturopathic doc since I've already gone the medical route. I've heard B12 is another good supplement for leg pain, but I take so many supplements now & I'd rather be guided by a naturopathic doctor.

It's interesting you brought this up because it's been on my mind to get it checked out, hoping for a natural remedy.

I certainly hope this gets better for you. Try not to worry about cardio testing. It's painless.

A good stretch on my pilates table helps some, too. You might try some stretching floor exercises if ok with your doc.

I credit this in part to the ever-growing list of aging ailments, beyond this crummy neuropathy; That's said, it should be checked. I'm glad to hear you're remaining proactive to get to the root of the problem. Best of luck!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Thank you so much for your ongoing comments. I'm feeling really crummy today & I came here for a boost. Your time & advise mean more than you know.