Valued Contributor

Hi Loopy!!

WOW---your life certainly has been a whirlwind--I don't think I could keep up with you and your hubby!! But it's with all good and fun things--and that makes me happy for you!! You are very lucky to have such a large, loving family--what a blessing!!!

Oh yes, I'm so glad I retired--I don't think the idea that it has happened has sunk in yet.At the moment we continue to count down Joe's working days until his retirement--I know he can't wait--and I feel the same about having him staying home with me. I know Gracie will be thrilled to have both her Mommy & Daddy home!!

We had a hectic Christmas Day. We drove down state and visited a girlfriend that I haven't seen in 37 years--we had a wonderful time--especially Gracie. My friend has a small fenced in back yard that Gracie enjoyed--and a small cozy house that we all loved. It was great having coffee and Christmas cookies with her. Then we visited Joe's family---it was chaos with our three little great-nieces opening gifts (they received TONS of stuff from Santa!)--we ate a wonderful buffet lunch--and Gracie had fun playing with their family dog (Tino--a Maltese mix). The day turned out fine.

However, the next day I had to visit the foot doctor--had an ingrown nail that was giving me problems. Little did I know that it turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought and the doctor had to remove half of the nail on my left big toe--OUCH,OUCH,OUCH---the pain was incredible. Right now I have a massive bandage on that toe and am still in pain. Can't walk much, even with a surgical boot on. I see the foot doctor this Friday to check on that toe--hopefully it is healing well---what a pain not being able to wear a shoe--and don't ask how I manage to take a shower!

Any New Year's plans? We will be at home--I'll make a lasagna for our dinner--Joe will pick up a special dessert at the bakery. We'll be lucky if we can stay up until midnight!

Cookie---I'm really worried that you haven't posted in ages!! How is your Mom??

Joe and I and Gracie wish you, Loopy, and Cookie too--a very Happy & Healthy 2015--hope it's the best year ever!! I'm thrilled that 2014 is just about over--it was one of the worst for me--can't wait to wave goodbye and good riddance!!

Enjoy, drive safe and all the best!!

God Bless,

GM

Contributor
Hi ladies!! I am so so sorry for not writing sooner!! Everything is okay, I've just been incredibly incredibly busy! I did not mean to worry you guys!!!!!!! Mom is doing well now, although she still can't eat! She needs to have a second procedure to stretch her esophagus. She had been in the hospital a few times, the last time two weeks right before Christmas. She finished chemo now and chest radiation. She met with her oncologist yesterday and got the wonderful news that her PET scan was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!! Although her drs are cautiously optimistic--the type of cancer she had is known to come back, even within a few short months of getting a clean PET scan, so they will monitor her very carefully. She will be meeting with the radiation doctor today to discuss doing a brain scan. She was supposed to do preventative brain radiation starting this month. I'm not sure if they will want to continue do that now--although from what I've heard many drs still advise doing it under these circumstances---because it is very common for the cancer to spread to the brain first if it comes back. So I'm just waiting to hear from her later today. Hopefully now she can start recovering from the effects of the chemo and radiation. As typical, it has left her very weak and unable to eat. She also has weekend muscles especially in her legs--she's actually fallen twice because her legs just gave out on her. So now that she is done with chemo and hopefully radiation, maybe her body can now focus on getting stronger!!! :-) Between the holidays my mom's health and my health, things were just so incredibly busy and I did not have the time to pop on the boards to write you guys. Again, sorry that I worried you!! But I was thinking of both of you!!!!!! Oh, plus my niece had her baby and we had to go to Delaware to meet the little man!!! ??. That was another stressful event because my niece was having some complications and they had to induce her a few weeks early. But I'm happy to say that food is well with both the new mommy and baby!!??????. What a cutie he is! (Of course said by a bias great aunt) LOL Before I go further, I want to wish Loopy A very happy belated birthday!!! I don't believe I had wished you a happy birthday--i'm so so sorry for missing it!!!(head hanging low). ??. And GM, I'm so happy to hear that you are now retired--congratulations!!! Enjoy every minute!! John always teases that he wants to retire now! lol. He has no concerns about being bored!! LOL. I don't mind working part time although I hate doing it in the winter! I hate the idea of getting dressed up when it's so cold outside. I am a sweat pants kind of girl! LOL Sounds like both of you had a wonderful holiday filled with family and friends and lots of busy time! Hopefully now that the holidays are over I'll have a little bit more free time and a little less stress!!!!!!!!! Lol. Although the next two months I'll need to increase my hours at work because one girl is pregnant and due in two weeks. So I'm going to try to cover some of her work hours--just wish it were spring instead of winter!!! Omg--it was soooooooooo cold this morning--down to 7 degrees (NOT including windchill)!!! I drove my oldest to the bus stop because it was so cold! Some Schools were even closed because of the cold temperatures! Well, I better be going! I promise to try to keep up and not let so much time go in between my posts! Take care my friends!! And keep warm and toasty!! ???? Hugs!!!!!!!!
Valued Contributor

Hi Cookie!! So happy you posted!!! I love good news--and am glad your Mom is doing well--she is always in my prayers. How is she doing now? Are her appetite and strength any better? Please let us know how she is progressing when you can.

Congrats on your niece having a baby boy! How nice that you went to Delaware to see the baby--your niece must have been happy to see you!!

It's great you are working more, although I must agree with you about having to get up early and go to work in the winter--I do not miss that!!

I've been having an issue with my left big toe--been up & back to the podiatrist numerous time and it's still painful. She cut away some of the nail, but that didn't help. I might need surgery at some point--don't know yet. In the meantime, all I can do is clomp around in a surgical shoe when I must go out-- now my right hip and back hurt from walking unevenly with that shoe--UGH!!!!!!!! This year has not started out too good...

My Joe is counting the days until his retirement--I think he said 88 to go. He has to put in his retirement papers next month. It's very exciting that his final day of work will soon be here--he just has to get through this winter and some of the spring---can't wait for May 22!!!

I don't miss my job one tiny bit--not the work, not the office, not the bosses or the co-workers--it feels wonderful not to have all of that over my head anymore. I do miss the salary--but we'll survive. There comes a point when you know it's the time to stop working--and start living--and doing what you want to do. I'm loving it that I can sleep as long as i want to--and read books again--and work on my rugs---and even watch old movies until 3am if I so choose--the freedom feels terrific!!

Loopy---are you out there? How are you? Please post when you can!!

Everyone be careful over the next few days if you are going to get the stormy weather!!

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Valued Contributor

Hey Cookie & Loopy--are you gals still out there??????? Please post!!!!

I have an oncology surgeon appointment on Monday March 2nd----please say a prayer or two for me!! Am a wreck hoping he finds nothing to be worried about during my exam. Will post again after my visit.

Hope all is well with you two……..

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Super Contributor

Hi GM and cookie! I'm so sorry for being AWOL all this time--good heavens, I can't believe so much time has passed! It must be mental telepathy, because I've been thinking and thinking of you both, and reviewed 'my activity' to locate and write on our thread, and lo and behold GM--you posted today!! There's just been so much going on in our extended families--all of it medical, all of it bad. I didn't want to be a 'Captain Bringdown' and have nothing good to add, but today we got just a hint of good news about one of them, thank heavens! We'll take it! A possible light at the end of the tunnel--(we just hope it's not an onrushing train!)

GM, I'm so happy that you're enjoying your retirement--that's so great! I remember when my best friend retired from teaching for 25 years in a very challenging inner city school system, a few years ago. All these people kept asking her if she was bored, and she said--not for one minute, and just like you said, she can do whatever she likes, or nothing if she wants to! How wonderful that Joe is retiring soon, too! May 22 will be here before you know it! Mine is at least thinking about it, so that's a step in the right direction! I keep thinking about that saying though, "I married you for better or for worse, but not for lunch!" But since we're like two peas in a pod, I think it'll be fine (I'll let you know!) Ooh--I hope your toe is better--those issues can be so painful and debilitating, can't they? I did remember that you were going to your oncologist around this time, and I'll be thinking of you on Monday with every good wish and looking for your post after your appointment!

cookie--I'm so glad that your mom has been doing well, and hope that with her chemo finished she can regain her strength, and begin to feel like herself again. I know how those treatments, while of course necessary, can really take the starch out of someone, and I'm so hoping that she's back on her feet soon! Congratulations on the new baby, great auntie--you absolutely have bragging rights!! I know it must have been so stressful with the complications and your niece having to be induced early--thank heavens that everything went well, and the precious baby boy arrived safe and sound!! It sounds like you have an even busier schedule now covering for your co-worker--whew! Please take extra good care of yourself, so you don't get worn out and under the weather yourself! My daughter has been so overwhelmed in Boston with the snow--at last count they have 93"--almost 8 feet!! Where to put it all?! Spring can't come soon enough!!

Thinking of you both with lots of love and hugs! (((((((((())))))))))

PS--I had to hit the Edit button and continue, because it took me so long to type this, I was afraid it would all go poof and disappear! (Perish the thought! I could never remember what I'd written!)

Super Contributor

GM--how are you?--are you OK?? I'm a little worried because I know your appointment was two weeks ago. (You know that's my job, and if I don't do it well, I might get fired!) But seriously, please let me know how you're doing--I'm wishing and hoping you're well! x0x0x0x

Valued Contributor

Hi Loopy….

So sorry to have worried you!! Yes, I'm OK--my examination went fine--I see my oncology surgeon again in July--and will have either a CAT scan or an MRI in September--my second anniversary of having finished radiation--that's their protocol. Thanks for being so concerned--you are a good friend!

The anniversary of my Mom's passing was March 13th--I cannot believe it has been one year already--and I'm having a tough time dealing with all that has happened. I haven't felt like doing much of anything--except looking at old pix of my family (everyone is gone now!) and still cleaning up my Mom's papers---my brother has two more shopping bags full--I told him I will take them from him and finish the job. On top of that, my brother announced he is getting divorced--I had no idea he and his wife were having problems--they have two boys they haven't told yet--what a mess--he just rented an apartment and will be moving away in April---I'm worried about him.

I hope Cookie's mother is doing OK---hopefully she will post soon.

Hope you are OK, too, Loopy----what have you been up to?

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Super Contributor

Hi GM! I'm so happy to hear your good news!! Thank you, lucky stars!! I was away--went south for a bit, and coming back to the still rotten weather made me wonder why I didn't stay longer! Where's my palm trees?? Where's my pina colada??!!

I'm so sorry and surely understand your sadness surrounding the anniversary of your mom's passing. I can empathize because I know how painful it is to try and cope with such a loss. And on top of everything else, to have the worry about your brother and his family must be very difficult. My heart goes out to you! Stay strong GM!

On the way back from our trip, my hubby was attacked by a seagull! Yes! We stopped at a rest stop for some breakfast type vittles to munch along the way, and he broke off a piece of scone and put the rest in the bag. On the way back to the car, suddenly he felt something flapping about his face and neck and a seagull snatched the piece of scone right out of his hand! Then it proceeded to sit on the ground right in front of him and eat it! He said, if it had fingers, it would have given him one!! Haha! Then all the relatives started squawking over our heads! It was like being in an Alfred Hitchcock movie!!

I had to change my nic because now there's a LurkyLoo and a LucyLoo (or some such Loo) and another Loo whose first name escapes me at the moment. Too many loos!!! (Har har!) But it's still me--still loopy after all these years! (with apologies to Paul Simon!)

My daughter's friend invited her and my little grandson to meet the Easter bunny (the costumed photo op variety!) After seeing him up close, my grandson whispered in my daughter's ear, "I don't think he's the real Easter bunny--he has people hands!"

I want to wish you, Joe and Gracie, and cookie and the family a very happy Easter and a wonderful spring! May you all know only good things! I hope we'll hear from cookie soon and that everything's OK! Take care and be well-- Lots of love and hugs x0x0x0x0x

Contributor
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm still kicking!!!!!!!!! Lol. I feel like such a slug for not writing sooner!!!!! My usual excuse is that I'm so busy and don't know where the days go!!!!! Plus, I don't have typical access to a computer at home and my iPhone is not working!!!!! It's all those darn updates (and NOT the numerous times I've dropped it ????). Right now I'm using the iPad so sorry if the font is small--I don't know how to change it. I hope you both had a wonderful holiday!!!! Mine was ok--spent with my husbands family. Loopy, your story about your grandson cracked me up!!!!!!! My boys never cared for the Easter bunny, the one in the malls, etc--it creeped them out!!! Lol. ??. GM--I'm so so so happy that your tests/exam went well!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! ????. That's wonderful!!!!!!!! My mom is doing better!! Still recovering from the effects of chemo--that will take a long time. She's all finished with her chemo, chest radiation and brain radiation!!!!! Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!! Her next pet scan is in June--keeping my fingers and toes crossed for good results!!!! She just recently had surgery because her retina detached, probably because of all the coughing she does (from the radiation we think--she had 3-4 surgeries on her throat to expand). It's been a crazy year for her!!! So hopefully now things will look up for her and she can focus on healing!!! May 22nd is almost here--bet you and hubby can't wait!!!!!!! So wonderful!!!!!!! Will you do anything special to celebrate????? Ohh, how ironic GM--found out a few months back that my brother and SIL were splitting--actually their divorce was final just a few weeks ago. Such a shame!!! And unfortunately, life has not improved--they can't get along, even for the children's sake (they have two boys as well). im in shock over mySIL's behavior!!! So childish and selfish!!! And my poor nephews are suffering!!!!!! Both are now failing school!! I've seen the emails from the teacher to my brother stating that my SIL isn't cooperating with the school--the school where she placed them after she moved to a different school district. She's even missed meetings with the teacher, counselor and principal!!! It's so unbelievable!!! I told my brother that he should file for full custody!!!!! Well, I best be going--need to get dinner ready!!! Hubby forgot his lunch today so I know he'll be starving when he gets home!!!! HUGS to you both!!!!!! Hope you are doing well and feeling well!!!!!!!!!!! ????????
Contributor
Bahaha--in my message--where you see the question marks--those were suppose to be emoticons (like :-) and laughing ones). I have those emoticons on the ipad--well I guess they didn't translate into the message!!!!! I never noticed that before (I've used the iPad before to write messages). So disregard the ?????????? Lol.