Trusted Contributor

PVC coated polyester and its off gassing affects...

[ Edited ]

I am curious if anyone has had a bad reaction from lounge chairs that off gas which is toxic to your health.  When exposed to heat you can smell it.  I ask because Ca has strict laws and certainly would not allow such outdoor furniture (that many use indoor as well) to be sold there.  Recently, I inquired if anyone slept full time in a lounge chair such as the zero gravity style that qvc sells.....they are made with pvc coated polyester so that has scared me away from buying,  

I found this:

While the effects of off-gassing are still being studied, what we do know is that many of the chemicals can cause allergic reactions and other health problems—including congestion, coughing, skin irritation, asthma attacks, and fatigue, as well as leukemia, lymphomas, or cognitive decline.

Your opinons on the subject are valued and if you own furniture like this please tell me if you have had medical issues. 

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: PVC coated polyester and its off gassing affects...

I've had at least a half dozen of the zero gravity lawn chairs including the original La Fuma chair from France in the mid-90s.  I never detected even the slightest odor from any of them, including the recent QVC TSV chair which I have in the house.  I don't have any condition I could blame on my chairs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom

You may want to contact the company directly and ask about any warnings associated with the furniture you want to purchase. 

I would guess that PVC in direct sun/heat would produce some harmful gas. 

Another suggestion is to search and see if PVC coated poly is banned in countries overseas. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That part of fumes coming out of PVC is one the reasons I didn't buy the AZEK brand of man made decking material. I'm currently in the process of having a new deck built and AZEK is 100% PVC. In the hot sun I wonder how much fumes would be coming out of it.

eta - and another thing...when the AZEK material is cut with a saw it produces a lot of dust and powder which drops down to the ground where it is being cut, in my case it would be my back yard where my dog would be walking and sniffing around. I don't want that PVC in my yard, especially the dust.Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

many of the health issues may not appear or be noticed for several years after exposure to the PVC-coated poly, so it can be difficult to trace an illness back to a specific product
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
many of the health issues may not appear or be noticed for several years after exposure to the PVC-coated poly, so it can be difficult to trace an illness back to a specific product

@lovesrecessgood point! 

Trusted Contributor

thank you @butterfly123

Honored Contributor

I haven't experienced this with outdoor furniture but we got new leather living room furniture about 10 days ago and it still has a strong "new leather" odor - which is also outgasing. It hasn't helped that the rain is preventing us from being able to open the doors & windows to get in some fresh air.