Trusted Contributor

Could taking vitamin D help me with my depression?

I have posted about it before, but I live for bright sunny days. I love them! I am truly a better person on sunny days. Unfortunately, sunny days are few and far between where I live. I suffer from depression, and dark, cloudy, gloomy days affect me terribly. The difference a sunny day vs. a gloomy day makes in my mental state is almost unbelievable. I hate feeling like I do, and I really do try to fight through the gloomy days, but if you know anything about depression, it simply isn’t that easy. Is it possible that taking vitamin D supplements may help me with my depression? Any recommendations? Dosage? Brands? Personal experiences? Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: Could taking vitamin D help me with my depression?

@Sue98

How depressed are you?

I used to live in Indianapolis, and sunny days were very few. 🙃

Now I live in Texas, where there are lots of sunny days.

I have found that L-AcetylCarnitine is a very good, non rx, supplement functioning as a mood enhancer for DH and me.

Vitamin D may work for others. In our case, our doctor seems to only advocate a low-dose of vitamin D. (800 IU—not sure of units here) HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Were you diagnosed with this type of depression? Your Dr. with suggestion options for you( medication, light therapy, etc.).Best of luck. I wish I could send sunny skies your way.

Regular Contributor

I am sorry for what you are living with. I know from experience. Fish oil is a good alternative. But there is nothing wrong with going to the doc either. I am on antidepressants, a very low dose, for life. Back when I was diagnosed and put on meds they didn't know it should be a temporary thing. Thus I am on forever. Nowadays, the docs don't want to keep you on them.  Yes, I have tried to get off of them but it caused other issues. Being on them is just like any other medical condition so don't let the stereotype scare you. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I think you need to go to a Dr. and get checked out!  Everything from thyroid, menopause, etc. can effect you.  Unless you been diagnosed with a Vit. D deficiency (which I have) I would not start taking it, you need to go to the Dr. and have a physical!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel the same about the affect of a sunny day on my mood. I grew up on the Washington coast, and the day I discovered the sunny southwest, I was outa the grey gloomy north west as quickly as I could move and never looked back. It feels wonderful to have mostly bright sunny days with a few cloudy stormy ones a year just for fun.

Also, a little chocolate every day 😋

I hope you find the answer you are looking for to help with depression. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It helped me and I take vitamin K with it.  I take Ortho Molecular products. 5000IU which might be high for you.  Have a blood test to see what your levels are. Ask your doctor.

The vitamin K that I use is from Life Extension and called "super K"

Trusted Contributor

I agree you should see a doctor before taking vit d but also want to say that what helps me is to make sure I have my cup of coffee everyday or more than 1 but more importantly make sure you eat!  So many forget to eat or just snack and then wonder why they are depressed.  Eat something healthy that you love.  @Sue98

Esteemed Contributor

Please consider asking your doctor to evaluate you for seasonal affective disorder (SAD)  before you start or stop any supplements.

This is a mood disorder that is characterized by depression, and treated with exposure to a special light.

This is a disorder your doctor would never know you have unless you bring it up and talk about how you feel on sunny vs overcast days.