Honored Contributor

Re: PROBIOTICS...Any Thoughts??

I do not really trust the FDA solely to do an adequate job when it comes to health and safety as evidenced from their tract record.

And that substances in food and medicine have been banned in Europe and other countries while we are still having them recommended by doctors in this country and sold everywhere! 

I am not an extremist by any means. 

I just think we really have to be our own advocates and research information from reliable sources on our own, as well as listening to hopefully, practitioners we can trust.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The FDA regulates all dietary supplements. @goldensrbest 

https://www.fda.gov/food/dietary-supplements

So what do you mean about them not doing so with probiotics?

@goldensrbest 

I don't understand your question. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , Maybe i read your post wrong ,i am tired tonite .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I never take them. There are no standards when it comes to PB supps and for that reason you don't know what you are getting. No two brands are alike or are they created equal in their effectiveness. The FDA and NIH both have stated that much is still unknown about the supps and to take them with caution.

Truth!

My mantra of a fiber-rich plant diet is imperative for

healthy gut microbiome. Most people are caught in this

hamster wheel of questionable diet, get digestive issues,

get antibiotics, use probiotics, continue eating gut-destructive

diet, get sick again, etc.etc.

I believe there was something in the news last Fall proclaiming 

probiotics after antibiotic treatment may cause more harm

than anything.  IMO...10yrs from now, there will be regret

using probiotics supplements as self care. Can’t be good

in the long term. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

I feel the same way about the FDA.  But I think they can still offer some good information  and set some standards for some otherwise confusing mess of ingredients and substances. The FDA categorizes stuff and tries to help the public understand what they are getting and this, to me, is most valuable.  Sometimes I just need to know what kind of substance I'm dealing with and not so much about how effective or not it is.

The FDA is still not sure about where to place probiotic substances. They say it can be placed in more than one category....is it a supp, or a food, or a drug? But most will agree that they are a dietary supp. Just not all of them. They really don't have all the answers.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Amazes me that doctors will not address diet before recommending probiotics, but it doesn't surprise me. We do eat raw sauerkraut  (Trader Joe's and sometimes Costco carries the same brand) in the daily large lunch salad.  Gut health is critical....lots of research available.

@phoenixbrd 

A side story for you little Leafie🌱, years ago I started to eat more

potatoes, I batched cooked spuds...ate some & refrigerate the rest.  

I would pull out the chilled potatoes (resistant starch increased),

heat them up & be so gassy.  😯 Same thing with beans.

My McDougall group assured me it was just a phase.

I was told to just stick with it...and suddenly it went away.

It’s like my gut biome flipped the switch & I can now eat any

of those foods without any distress.  So now when I do have to

take any antibiotics, I don’t have issues like many have. 

You are so right..gut health is critical & doctors should take a

more active role, but hopefully within our lifetime that will change!

🌼💛🥬

Trusted Contributor

It's a mixed bag with me. Sometimes they seem to help and other times I have gotten worse. The last time I was taking them, I had ordered the Lessman digestive pack. I was taking them faithfully because I was having one of my troubled times. I seemed to be more bloated but I kept on taking them. One time I was out somewhere and didn't have them to take. I felt better that day so I skipped them. I seemed to get better for a few days, then the symptoms came back. I guess it just depends on what the problem is.  I have started them up again so I'm hoping they will help.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I had good results taking Florastor.

This was for a short period of time.

This was doctor recommended and is found behind the pharmacy counter, no prescription needed.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman - I also have digestive issues. It seems I've become lactose intolerant in the past few years. I also had to have my gall bladder out. The doctor prescribed Protonix as needed. He also told me to get a probiotic over the counter. So I did, but I didn't take it.

A few weeks later I saw my family doctor for a sinus infection. She said no, no, no. don't take a probiotic. That would not be right for me. She said Protonix is fine once in a while, and she recommended Lactaid. 

I very rarely take the Protonix, but I do take the Lactaid if we're eating out. I used to drink skim milk in the morning, but have stopped that. 

Honored Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Friendly Flora probiotics. I started taking them with his digestive enzymes when I woke up with acid reflux a few times. I also quit eating after 7. I have not had any problems.

I stopped taking them for a while to see how things would go. I got Shingles. I started taking them again. I'm never going to stop.

I cannot take it on an empty stomach. I had stomach issues along with bloating.