Respected Contributor

Re: PROBIOTICS...Any Thoughts??

@GenXmuse wrote:

I can’t take them. I’ve tried just about every formulation, even the more expensive ones and I never get over the bloat and stomach pains that can occur when you first take them. After giving each a trial of 6 weeks I’m better off without them. 

I do okay with yogurt and kefir and Andrew Lessman’s Fibermucil which has a bit of lactobacillis but the ones with multi strains have been awful on my system. 

@GenXmuse I have tried Activia PB yogurt by Dannon and had the same issue.  I can eat most yogurts but not this one. 

Honored Contributor

I tried the probiotics and didn't have any side effects from it, but didn't see where it helped my gut. I started making pickles from the cucumbers I grow and eat a few of those a couple times a week and I think that has made a difference. I like plain yogurt and eat that too. I also make sauerkraut from the cabbage I grow, but that's not something I want to eat every week.

Honored Contributor

Amazes me that doctors will not address diet before recommending probiotics, but it doesn't surprise me. We do eat raw sauerkraut  (Trader Joe's and sometimes Costco carries the same brand) in the daily large lunch salad.  Gut health is critical....lots of research available.

Honored Contributor

Try goats milk, and it is good.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman -

Yes  I have had the same experience.

There has been new information put out on probiotics regarding taking during and after antibiotics.

No longer recommended as they now say it inhibits our bodies own good bacteria to heal. 

All this info came out in the news several months ago, or almost a year now.

Things are always changing in the medical field and doctors are not always able to keep up with all the changes either.

So don't just blindly follow what has been recommended for years.

Everyone should research this on their own.

My mother's doctors told her also to stop taking them.

The same with low dose aspirin, calcium, esp. for women, vitamin e, estrogen, butter, no, margarine, no butter, caramel coloring, chemicals in sunscreen, everyone needs gluten free, make it really expensive and on and on., alternative medicine-only for the rich, sorry.

You really have to research and read, not just go along.

It is like they say to take something for years, then totally reverse it, like oops, so sorry, we only told everyone to take that cause it was such a big money maker but hadn't really done any research on it's many effects!

Vaccines? no problem, totally safe, yeah right. Take everything with a "grain of salt."

By the way, "probiotics" used to be called, acidolpholus-very inexpensive.

But since manufacturers saw a huge marketing opportunity, they named it "probiotics", upping the price.

Sorry thanks for the venting. Just really disgusted with any exploitation of people, patients,for money instead of for improving people's lives.

Not that there aren't good practioners and companies, but you have to really look for them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I never take them. There are no standards when it comes to PB supps and for that reason you don't know what you are getting. No two brands are alike or are they created equal in their effectiveness. The FDA and NIH both have stated that much is still unknown about the supps and to take them with caution.

No supplements as far as i know arenot really aproved ,or regulated i thought.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The FDA regulates all dietary supplements. @goldensrbest 

Supplements do not need FDA approval to be sold on the market. However, the ingredients found in them need to be safe for public consumption and that's where the FDA regulations come into the picture.

https://www.fda.gov/food/dietary-supplements

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman   I understand that there are crisis times when antibiotics can be life saving,..they can also destroy our microbiome permanently.  I would think long/hard if an antibiotic is prescribed.  Unfortunately, they have become all too common and the old school....eat some yogurts/take a few probiotic....if you have been on a slew of antibiotics just doesn't cut it.  

Antibiotics can alter the gut microbiome and weaken the immune response for years to come. 

Respected Contributor

There are many different formulations of probiotics. When I was having the worst of my digestive problems, I tried many different recommended brands.  They all made my stomach feel worse. 

Finally, as a last resort I tried Align, a probiotic with only one strain and a very low rating. To my surprise, that is the one that agreed with me and I still take it daily to this day.

In other words, I had to kiss a lotta frogs.🐸

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The FDA regulates all dietary supplements. @goldensrbest 

https://www.fda.gov/food/dietary-supplements

So what do you mean about them not doing so with probiotics?