Respected Contributor

I recently had to go to the doctor because of digestive issues.  She suggested I take an over the counter probiotic capsule.  I tried them (off and on) for a month and was miserable every day I took them.  Nausea, bloated, gassy, and crampy.  I stopped taking them and now I feel fine.  Has anyone else had this experience? 

There may be some great health benefits there but the side effects to me aren't worth the misery.   

Respected Contributor

Re: PROBIOTICS...Any Thoughts??

I take them because I need to.  I am bloated also but there's nothing I can do as I really need them.  Try drinking prune juice every day.

Honored Contributor

I never take them. There are no standards when it comes to PB supps and for that reason you don't know what you are getting. No two brands are alike or are they created equal in their effectiveness. The FDA and NIH both have stated that much is still unknown about the supps and to take them with caution.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I take them because I need to.  I am bloated also but there's nothing I can do as I really need them.  Try drinking prune juice every day.

another fan of prune juice!

Respected Contributor

My mother tried Lessman's several years ago, and they made her sick (digestive issues). I stay away from them except on occasion when I've been on certain antibiotics.

Super Contributor

If feeling worse when taking probiotics I would suggest researching SIBO, to see if maybe this could apply to you. HTH.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy I pre/pro biotics from the big A

MAV Nutrition Probiotics + Prebiotics for Digestive Enzymes Support, Non-GMO, Vegetarian Friendly, 60 Count

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I recently had to go to the doctor because of digestive issues.  She suggested I take an over the counter probiotic capsule.  I tried them (off and on) for a month and was miserable every day I took them.  Nausea, bloated, gassy, and crampy.  I stopped taking them and now I feel fine.  Has anyone else had this experience? 

There may be some great health benefits there but the side effects to me aren't worth the misery.   

To be clear, my problem at the time was not being able "not to go."  It was the opposite.  I am already scheduled for a colonoscopy in October but she suggested I take the PB supplement because I had been on antibiotics for a UTI and she thought that might help.  Not the case.  I'm done with them. 

Honored Contributor

I can’t take them. I’ve tried just about every formulation, even the more expensive ones and I never get over the bloat and stomach pains that can occur when you first take them. After giving each a trial of 6 weeks I’m better off without them. 

I do okay with yogurt and kefir and Andrew Lessman’s Fibermucil which has a bit of lactobacillis but the ones with multi strains have been awful on my system. 

Honored Contributor

I took something called good belly, and it helped me quite a bit. My digestive system was a mess. I took it daily for  a couple of months