Valued Contributor

MY NIECE HER GRAND SON BORN AUG 14 HAS THIS CALLED APENA  WAS TESTED WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 15 DAYS  GOOD WEIGHT 8 5   BE HOME MONDAY  KIND OF SCARY . ANY ONE HEAR OF THIS  GOOGLE SAID ITS VERY COMMON 

Super Contributor

Yes, my grandson had this as a baby, he's now 38 yrs old.  He was on a monitor for a year, and what was then an experimental medication.  He was a pretty severe case and the monitor was activated if he stopped breathing for a certain number of seconds.  It was very scary but we all made it through, although many scares when the alarm would go off.  Hopefully your grandbaby will be fine as well. 

Spoiler

Super Contributor

I don't kinow what the spoiler alert is all about???   I failed to mention my husband 83 yrs old has had apnea since the 70's and has slept with a breathing machine for years.  It drives me crazy, noisy etc., but it is very common in adults.

Honored Contributor

Apnea is very common.

Honored Contributor

Re: PERIODIC BREATHING

[ Edited ]

One of our children had apnea as an infant, required medication for about a year and was also on a monitor at home.  There is medication that will open the airways, if the baby is still having episodes.  Your niece's pediatrician will know what to prescribe.  The problem is that with newborns their weight is always changing so she will need to have the baby's blood tested every couple of weeks to make sure the medication level/dosage is accurate.  Our son got so used to his blood being drawn that there were times he didn't even cry.

Valued Contributor

thank you for your posts back    bless all of you and please stay virus free

Valued Contributor

JUST THANK GOD YOU STILL HAVE YOUR HUBBY  MINE WAS ON OXEGEN  THAT MADE NOISE  DID NOT BOTHER ME WHY HE WAS STILL WITH ME.  MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE SLEPT IN ANOTHER ROOM  SHAME ON YOU WE WERE MARRIED 68 YEARS WHEN HE PASSED AWAY 3 YEARS AGO ,