Respected Contributor

Over Age 75 Testing and Treatment

[ Edited ]

If you are not aware, treatments and testing change for those over age 75. For those with no previous problems, colonoscopies and mammograms are no longer routine. Certain surgical procedures like prostate removal are likely not done.  Less invasive treatments such as radiation therapy are used instead of surgery. There are other changes as well.

I wanted to let anyone know who was unaware of this to be proactive. If you are younger than 75, you might want to ask your primary care physician about them to avoid being blindsided.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Over Age 75 Testing and Treatment

@On It    Not covered by whom?  Link please. Thank you

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@On It    Not covered by whom?  Link please. Thank you

There was a change in medical practice ethics. I read the article over a year ago. I cannot locate it now. This is not related to coverage or insurance. It is medical practice policy. The physicians have a different approach to those over 75.

Respected Contributor

I completely agree with @On It . You MUST ask if they would be treating you differently if you were under 75. 

Nobody warned me about this change. I am 76 and noticed the difference immediately. 

Honored Contributor

Not true. This is an exaggeration.   I remember reading about a change in clinical practice guidelines.  It's not mandatory.  It's a suggestion for physicians.  They can use them or not use them in their practice.  It's not about insurance coverage.  

Respected Contributor

Yes it's true. No more mammographies or colonoscopies after 75. Also different procedure for prostate. I'm sure there are others also.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Not true. This is an exaggeration.   I remember reading about a change in clinical practice guidelines.  It's not mandatory.  It's a suggestion for physicians.  They can use them or not use them in their practice.  It's not about insurance coverage.  

I have three doctors who have referred to the changes; a family practice physician, an internist, and a urologist. It is a very real change for my husband and I.

Super Contributor

I was told no colonoscopy after 65!  My mother died of colon cancer so of course this is a concern to me.  I will insist or change my doctor when the time comes.  What the heck is this, are we going on the scrap heap as we get older.  I will feel like a broken toy if this is allowed to happen, cast aside for a new model.

Honored Contributor

Is this medicare or does it involve all medical insurance.  This does not surprise.   Years ago I was told that at a certain age certain medical exams will no longer be routine.  Perhaps this practice has become more wide spread as to which exams are no longer considered necessary.  Don't allow this to tag you a second class citizen, allow your relevance and wisdom to shine!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't say whether this is happening or not, but I recently had my annual PC check-up and he asked me if I was up-to-date on my mammograms and colonoscopies.  My last mammogram was in Dec. 2022 (have an appointment for Dec. 2023)  and I am now due for my colonoscopy, which I have a date in October.  His answer to that was, "good, you should always keep up with these routine procedures."   So, it must be what your primary care doctor chooses to do, or not do.   Glad I have one that believes in promoting these routine procedures. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!