Valued Contributor

I have an over active bladder. I have it at night. This just started about 2 weeks ago. I am up 4 or 5 times at night. I'm not sleeping at all. Does anyone here suffer from this? Can you recomend a rememdy? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@hovis  First you should go to the gyno Dr and talk with him about the various options out there.

Many women suffer with it, especially if you've had children and/or older.

There are a lot of things that can be done and that you can do so you no longer suffer with this.

First even before you get an appt, you can help by strengthing your muscle.  Do kegal exercises (google and it will explain it).  That will strengthen the muscle.  You can do them any time and anywhere and no one would know.

Drs offer several medical remedies to help you.  I know someone who had Botox (yes, Botox) and that helped.  There are a lot of things.  Please don't suffer with this.

If you can't afford to go to the gyno Dr just read up on some of the other remedies.

Honored Contributor

I agree with Annabelle. Please go to your doctor, or an ob-gyn. There are many medications out there that can help you, or you can try botox, if you are up for that. I know some people don't like the idea of using botox injections in any part of the body. I don't know how much the botox injections cost, but they last about 6 months or so. 

Honored Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I have an over active bladder. I have it at night. This just started about 2 weeks ago. I am up 4 or 5 times at night. I'm not sleeping at all. Does anyone here suffer from this? Can you recomend a rememdy? Thanks.

Before one starts injections & poppin' pills...which the doctor will do in a heart beat....WHY 2 weeks ago?  What happened then...or recently?

Have you

- had additional stress?

- eaten more simple carbohydrates?

- exercised more...or harder?

- are you worrying about anything?

- have you started/stopped any female medication?

- have you tested your thyroid levels?

- have you tested your sugar levels for diabetes?

Nighttime urination is a classic sign when blood sugars tend to dip too low.  Also it's a sign if you've introduced a lot of cortisol in your system (stress, coffee, etc) and it causes the blood sugars to dip.  The cortisol will irritate the bladder's lining, thus causing frequent urination.  

Another thought...are you getting night sweats, as well?   Sometimes we think it's the urination that wakes us, but in fact, it was the hot flash.

Hope this info helps.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor
I began this when I had a kidney stone. Also , it could be caused by citrus, tomatoes or acidic foods, artificial sweeteners in food /beverages. Certain kinds of coffee really have an effect also.
You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Go see your PCP.  You may have cystitis or a UTI. 

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Over Active Bladder

[ Edited ]

@hovis wrote:

How were diagnosed with OAB? I had this diagnosed in 2001. For me  the time of day or nights made/ make no difference. My Urologist tried 2 different prescription meds, neither of which helped. Only thing they did was dry me out.

I had 2 different in depth procedures done on the same day, which took about 5 hours. Not the most pleasant of the many procedures I have had done. Showed my kidney function and bladder capacity along with how long it took me to completely empty my bladder along with projected amount of time to fill my bladder.

Wondering if both genders have same lengthy procedures for your OAB diagnosis. Did you have these same procedures done to get your OAB diagnosis? 

I still have to seek out restrooms in unfamiliar places.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@twocent  Love your tagline or whatever it's called.  My heart is there too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This is just a thought I have, but are you drinking cola (i.e. Pepsi)?

I had the OAB for years and once I stopped drinking cola, the OAB went away.  I never knew they were connected, but for me they were.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Over Active Bladder

[ Edited ]

I have had this problem for several years now.  One thing I am told, since I have Type 2 Diabetes, is that when my blood sugar is high it gets worse. This has proven to be very true in my case.  I have not gone on meds, as I already feel I take too many.  There are Diabetes meds, thyroid meds and blood pressure meds.  Enough is enough of that. I did try one pill several years ago at the request of my PCP. Didn't work, made my mouth dry out constantly and truly I felt awful when taking it. I don't have a big problem during the day, but I do like to know where the next restroom is just in case.

What has worked best for me, and it's definitely not a cure, is not to drink much of anything after about 3:00 in the afternoon. With less liquid inside, there's less need to release it during the night. With luck I can go for about three to four hours of sound sleep. But it is definitely my bladder that wakes me. I'm 81 and never had a hot flash in my life.  In spite of the obvious inconvenience and loss of sleep, I am not going to try Botox or any more pills.  I have a friend that has had a little  luck with AZO Bladder Control Tablets, but have not tried those myself. They are OTC, and most stores have them.

I honestly feel that this is just another sign of an aging woman who has had several children and whose organs are aging.  I don't know your age, but this may be your situation as well. By all means be certain there is no obvious internal problem, but I would have to say don't put yourself through 40 shades of H e l l with too many tests, some of which can be painful. You can admust and learn to live with almost anything if you set your mind to it.