Honored Contributor

Original Calling Pink123 and Sage04

[ Edited ]

@Pink123 @Sage04 

I thought we could move over here if you don't mind.

Last night I took a gabapentin in place of the 800 mg ibuprofen.  This morning I was so terribly sore once I got up I could barely move.

I have 1 more night of taking one before upping the number of pills.

I am fearful to go totally on the gabapentin.  Of course the dr is closed over the weekend.

Respected Contributor

Re: Calling Pink123 and Sage04

@ECBG   So sorry you're having difficulty this weekend with your meds ~ I understand. You can call your pharmacist and try to get some answers. I've taken Gabapentin for two years now and my pharmacist was great and addressed my concerns until I could contact my doctor.

Sending good luck wishes to you...

Honored Contributor

@ECBG.  I've tried Gabapentin in the past and got no relief whatsoever from it.  I mentioned this to my doctor recently when we were discussing pain meds.  He said many people report that it doesn't help them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear that @ECBG - why can'y hou take both?  One has nothing to do with the other.  Iduprofen is an antiinflammatory.

I think this is a good combo.  I can't take iduprofen because I have Barrett's.

Also one might not help.  But the combo might.

My BF plays tennis 3 times a week.  But his knee is bone on bone.

He takes Iduprofen PM at bedtime and Gabapentin. He has tough time getting to sleep. 

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 

Thank you.

It just occurred to me that since the prescription is for 3, maybe I hadn't worked up to a high enough dosage.

The amount of ibuprofen I take can be damaging yo the

@ECBG wrote:

@Pink123 @Sage04 

Last night I took a gabapentin in place of the 800 mg ibuprofen.  This morning I was so terribly sore once I got up I could barely move.

I am fearful to go totally on the gabapentin.  Of course the dr is closed over the weekend.

The dose I take can be damaging to the kidneys/liver.  I also can't take my antidepressant.  We lost our 19 year old son in a wreck among other things.  When the brain quits making serotonin, it has to be taken synthetically.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBGI really hope that the Gabapentin would work for you. Once you get to twice a day, you should find some relief. I also took 800mg ibuprofen for years and it helped me also. My Naprologist kept track of my kidneys.

At one point I though my kidneys were affected but so far he said they are ok. I haven't taken Ibuprofen for this year so I'm taking the Gaberpentin. This works for me. Whenever I have Cervical Spine pain I grab my Gabapentin and most of the time, just one would help.

Glad you moved over to this side because I thought the Moderators might delete the Posts or move them to Wellness.

Once the Gabapentin gets in your system you should notice the difference. If it wasn't for taking this medication my shingles would have been worse. Doctors also prescribe this for shingles.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Pink123 @Sage04 

@ECBG  I've taken the Gabapentin and Ibuprofen but hours apart.  You can also check with the Pharmacist or like you said check with your doctor on Monday. If you don't feel comfortable taking 3 Gabapentin, try two. Of course it makes you sleep but you won't feel the pain.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand this @ECBG.  

What the major problem is why can't your provider order you something for real pain?

This is a real prblem since the laws have changed.  The Doctor's are scared of writing prescription.  It's silly, I said I hope at end of life they willl give me morphine provided, fentanyl patch. etcs for my DH.  It's gotten crazy.

I can't take any Iduprofen as mentioned earlier or aspirin type med's.  If they can't help you. I suggest go to a pain clinic.  They will prescribe drugs which much better suited for you. The pot pushers won.  Oh boy, now we have fenanyl flooding the country and it's gaining ground. Yikes.

This is all crazy with new rules which happened 7 years ago? 

Please try a pain clinic if your Primary cannot help.  Again, they are scared.

I was in the hospital which I mentioned for 3 months.  I had IV dilaudid, morphine, Xanax, gabapentin, etc.  I was awake.  Please no replies, I got sepsis after a perforated operation.  It almost stole my life and shortened it. Not a picnic but I was fully cognizant with all these drugs.  

And I did not get hooked.  What do they care anyway when people are old anyway?  So stupid in my opinion.

Happy to be alive today!

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 

Thank you.

I have an excellent doctor.  I go to a Spine Center.  He is trying the medicine route before spinal shots.  He is also a spinal surgeon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes they do because it is for nerve pain.  That is shingles also. Orignal EPILEPSY.  Anyone remember how penicillin was born?..... It's called science.

I mentioned before it was originally used for epilepsy years ago.

Think about an epileptic sizure....didn't people get all twitchy, etc? it quiets the nervous system. And years ago prescribed an "off medication" meaning for many uses.  Everytime I entered hospital they put me on it.