Respected Contributor

Re: Oral rinsing twice weekly with diluted bleach

@VanSleepywrote:

A bleach bath is actually a recommended treatment for certain skin problems.

@VanSleepyThat is very interesting.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@panda1234wrote:

I work with people that put some bleach in their bath water.

That's insanity.

Or stupidity.

Or both!

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@panda1234wrote:

I work with people that put some bleach in their bath water.

That's insanity.

Or stupidity.

Or both!

@QueenDanceALot  I agree. These people are in the medical profession and have been doing this for some time.   

Valued Contributor

It is true that the CDC says if you cannot boil your water, to add bleach to it to make it potable.  I don't know the ratio; however.  

I used to swim in a pool that was heavily chlorinated when I was a kid.  But, thinking about it now, there were many times when I was swimming and that water got into my mouth.   Curiously, no one got rashes, allergies, diseases or sickness from swimming in that water.  It was super CLEAN.

So, it is plausible that a minute amount of Clorox to a larger amount of water would work as a disinfectant for certain oral conditions.

Trusted Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

A bleach bath is actually a recommended treatment for certain skin problems.

It's used in Wound Care. 

It's used in a mild solution. I've had it used on me when I've been to Wound Care. 

Honored Contributor

I use half Listerine Total Care and half water in my Waterpik and only use it three times a week.  Because I have permanent bridges top and bottom, I use it at a low setting.  When I am too tired to brush my teeth standing at the sink, I brush with straight Listerine sitting on my bed.  I also use Listerine to clean my brushes.  I rotate three at a time and air dry my toothbrushes.  Keeping them in a plastic case encourages bacteria.  And I keep them in my bedroom, never the bathroom.

As to using bleach in my mouth, I wouldn't do that.  I don't use bleach for anything, for that matter.  Even when I could do heavy cleaning, I never used bleach.  Just the odor of it affects my breathing.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Contributor

Can you please tell me what particular product of supersmiles that you use? They have a few and I would like to try this as I have gum issues. Is this the only thing that you use that has improved your gums?

Thanks

Contributor

There are a few rinses out there like Therabreath, Closys, and Smart Mouth that seem to have a version of bleach or chlorine in them. Do people feel that these are safe? They are supposed to kill germs and bacteria, but I also don't like the idea of rinsing with something with bleach or chlorine in it.

Mitchell

Honored Contributor

I would ask the dentist about this and mention his hygienist recommended it to you. Sounds risky to me; I would never try it.
Honored Contributor

I have been using neem toothpastes and mouthwash.This has significantly controlled plaque and helped gum disease.I don’t get much staining anymore either.My hygienist is really impressed.I will try a little bleach and see what that adds to the mix.

Respected Contributor

We my daddy was very young, they cleaned their teeth with a small green tree limb/stick. He always kept a toothpick in his mouth & chewed a lot of gum. His tteth were perfect. Other than a broken tooth once, he never went to the dentist. When he died (76yr), he had every tooth, minus the 1 that broke & they were perfect.

I would never put bleach in my mouth, even diluted!