Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have new insurance. We can go longer get a 90 day supply at our local pharmacies, so we decided to try mail delivery through OptumRX.

I received a robo call on Monday morning that three prescriptions were mailed. We haven’t received them yet.

My concern is that they are setting in a truck in the heat at a temperature far above the recommended range on the packaging. I don’t know what goes on with shipping meds to pharmacies either, but this seems different to me for some reason.

Have those if you on mail delivery had any such problems? Should I be concerned or am I just being overly cautious?

Thank you; your input is much appreciated!
Honored Contributor

@whatsmyname 

I order my mothers medication thru this company, and have always been notified when it ships and given an expected delivery date.  None of her meds have ever been delayed or lost.  

Honored Contributor

I've had mail delivery for years, switched to OptumRx about 4 years ago.  They are not as efficient as they used to be and seem to have recently switched to a foreign CS provider who totally screwed up what I wanted done on my last call.  I was able to fix it online.  Still, Optum is a ton better than our last provider and I've never had a single problem with my drugs.  I don't think the temporary heat in a truck hurts them at all.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have had OptumRx with my Medicare Advantage plan for 3+ years and have had few problems. I live in south Florida and currently have no medications with them that need refrigeration. When I did, it came well packed with gel refrigerant ice packs. I aways receive email notification of shipping, tracking and delivery information. I have an Ozempic Rx that needs refrigeration that I get locally at a retail pharmacy for other reasons.

Respected Contributor

I have used  Optum RX for a number of years and have never had any problems. They email when the meds are shipped and the delivery is ontime. 

Esteemed Contributor

I get 90 day supply of all my medications from one pharmacy.  My local Good Neighbor Pharmacy.  They deliver around the community.  All I have to do is call and tell them what I need or they call me when it's running low so I can get them filled.

I will never do a mail order via my Medicare Part D Plan (even though they have one).  The reason I prefer not to do mail order is so I can work around various generics.

Unfortunately, bigger pharmacy suppliers like CVS and Optum (same thing) negotiate prices of generic drugs and from one refill to the next you never know if you will get the same manufacturer. 

All GENERIC drugs are NOT created equally.  Some work better for me than others.  Of course, no one wants to hear that because they think it doesn't matter.  It does (for me).  They say they are chemically the same but they aren't.  As long as my pharmacist can get the one I'm accustomed to taking I prefer to work with them.  The big ones will change your pills every chance they get to save money (not a bad thing).  I'd rather stick with the generic I'm familiar with.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

We used them when my husband was working and found them convenient. Everything shipped on schedule. Now that he has retired, we go to a local pharmacy.

Respected Contributor

@whatsmyname 

When DH waits too late to have me order his meds from OPTUM Rx, I will have them expidited.  Cost may be a few dollars but the peace of mind is well worth it.  Sometimes they will waive the fee.

Once he cut it too close and Customer Service was able to  "transfer" the prescription to a local pharmacy for a small amount of pills.  Then they contacted cardiologist for a new Rx to be sent to OPTUM.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I use Optum, also, and order on line. They email me that they receive the order, when it gets processed and when it's shipped with the tracking # so you can check it. Haven't had any issues. Used the last few years I was still working and still using after 7 years retired.

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@whatsmyname 

I order my mothers medication thru this company, and have always been notified when it ships and given an expected delivery date.  None of her meds have ever been delayed or lost.  

@whatsmyname  I get mine on time, too.