Trusted Contributor

I saw my pain doctor yesterday and because of some complications I've been having, wants me to use a cane (again). I just hate having to use this thing, although I must admit it's saved me from a (bad) trip and/or fall, more than once.

It seems like a step backward and it acturally is--it has to do with some complications from autoimmune hepatitis. But I'm glad to be in very good hands, medically. I really like my doctor because she tells me exactly what's going on; doesn't try to sugar-coat it. And if I ask her a question, she answers--TRUTHFULLY. I'm sure most of us have a doctor that won't give them a straight answer or will ADMIT they don't know.  She's a gem.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace   can I ask what is the need for the cane? bad knees or hips?  Bad balance?

Trusted Contributor

bad balance, caused by medication. I CAN'T stop taking it and there's no substitute so--for now, not forever--I have to use my cane.

Esteemed Contributor

i use a cane.....prevents someone from having to pick me up if i fall!!

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote "I really like my doctor because she tells me exactly what's going on; doesn't try to sugar-coat it. And if I ask her a question, she answers--TRUTHFULLY. I'm sure most of us have a doctor that won't give them a straight answer or will ADMIT they don't know.  She's a gem.

I have a doctor that will do the same and I love her...she does not always try to push meds on the first visit and together we find pathways to healing...thought I was too young to use a cane then decided to see the cane as a tool/helper and not something that will set me back...I use as needed...bad knees that will decide when to work and when not to.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you're in good hands. I'm another who absolutely ADORES all my doctors, my oncologist especially, he's just the best of the best of the best Heart

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Spoiler

@nana59 wrote:

i use a cane.....prevents someone from having to pick me up if i fall!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! that's a good thought.

Respected Contributor

I wish I could go back to just my cane.  I am using a walker and oxygen right now and I hate being in this situation.  Count your blessing that you need only the cane.

Super Contributor

It is better to use a cane than fall and hurt yourself, not to mention the embarassment.  If you don't like the cane, can you practice falling gracefully?

I know someone who fell and broke both her arms.  She could not do anything for herself for months.  Now that was embarassing!

Honored Contributor

I think a cane is better than falling and then dealing with a broken hip on top of what you already have.