Super Contributor

Re: OTC Non habbit forming sleep aids?

I tried Unisom, Zquill and afew other OTC sleep aides. Nothing really worked, I would lay awake for hours. Recently I started taking 1 benadryl and 2 advil. It helps the good thing when I wake up at 2am It is easier to go back to sleep.
Honored Contributor

Benadryl, which most of us seem to try, is VERY drying to all body systems. Those of us who use it need to be drinking at least two liters of water/day.
Esteemed Contributor

Tylenol ""Simply Sleep"". Never wake up dopey and fall asleep fast.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

get active during the day to make yourself tired - also warm milk is a great sleep aide - and has NO side effects.

It probably would benefit most of those who can not sleep to have a sleep study done - then you will know more about WHY you can't sleep and treat the cause instead of treating the symptom.

Super Contributor

On 11/7/2014 jackthebear said:
On 11/7/2014 suzieQ4me said:

I have used Sominex or Unisom almost every night for almost 3 years now. I asked my doctor just last month if I should get off them but she did not really give a reply. She did say that getting 6 or 7 good hours of sleep every night is often better for you than the effects of the OTC sleep aids. Since that is the only way I get 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I continue using them. I do skip one night a week, just to see if I can get any sleep without them, and I don't sleep much at all on the nights that I don't take one. The store brand for both these is just as good, and costs a lot less. The Kroger duplicate for Sominex is like $2.39.

Sominex still same as Benadryl

Yep OTC sleep aids, for the most part, are just antihistamines. Save yourself some money and buy generic Benadryl. I have battled sleeping problems my whole life. Yes you can become dependant on OTC sleep aids. Your body will forget how to fall asleep without them. You shouldn't take them more than 3 days in a row. Yes you may sleep terrible on day 4 but it's much better for you in the long run.
Super Contributor

On 11/7/2014 free-spirit said:

Calcium with magnesium definitely helps. I take it with 1 metamucil capsule to speed it up.

the best product I have found is Andre Lessman's Night Time. The other channel is having a lessman special.

I agree on both of these. Magnesium supplements have a relaxing effect so can help with sleep (also very good for leg cramps). Nighttime is awesome! I sleep better with that then I did with ambien. I don't get the super vivid dreams like I did with just melatonin. No groggy feeling, or feeling all dried out like with an antihistamine.
Respected Contributor

Since I started this thread I've been taking Equate (generic) Nighttime Sleep Aid nightly I've been sleeping like a baby.

Esteemed Contributor

My Ambien was putting me to sleep while reading this. I want my daughter to see this thread so I'm keeping it until later in the day.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Some of these sleep aids are associated with increased risk of dementia, from what I've been reading. The one that works best for me is a prescription and it's habit-forming so I only have used it in dire circumstances. I won't touch most of the Rx like Ambien or Lunesta.

What ended up working for me is music. I have a CD of "Liquid Mind" which is music composed with a certain tempo and long drifting line of a melody that makes you sleepy. I discovered it listening to "Spa" on XM Sirius and I was driving....this is hilarious. I'm listening to relaxing music to keep from being aggravated at New Jersey drivers and I'm getting drowsy. What the heck? It was the music. So I went home and looked it up and yes, it is exactly for sleep inducement (so what was Sirius doing playing it DURING DRIVE TIME????)

They have a number of CD's and they all are pretty much the same. I think the story is the composer was trying to create something for a friend who was seriously ill and needed to be able to sleep.

I also use Audiobooks to sleep. I put them softly on a speaker from the Kindle, and the droning voice is like being read to by your daddy. It works every time. One half chapter, and I'm out like a light.

Honored Contributor

Benadryl does give some Restless Legs Syndrome. I used to sell a drug for RLS, and I know that was the main complaint with OTC Benadryl.

Any prescription product i.e. Lunesta, Sonata, Ambien...all habit forming..unfortunately.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"