Contributor

Scheduled for one next week.

Can't do treadmill due to knee problems.

Extremely nervous.

If you had one, could you share your experience?

Thanks

Respected Contributor

I've had this. No big deal or need for anxiety. Much easier than treadmill in my opinion 

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

I have to have these also.  Years ago--- it was scary!  But now, they have changed the medicene and it is practically a piece of cake.  Not to down play it at all, but it really isn't bad---and only last for a few minutes.  Hope it all goes well for you! 

Respected Contributor

In fact, name any cardiac test or diagnostic procedure and I've had it. March of this year. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I've had a couple and really--they are not a big deal. Had myself all riled up about it and was pleasantly surprised when it was over . You walk maybe for 1 minute is all. You have the nuclear stuff injected via IV and then get scanned for about 30 minutes but you are layng down, then you walk  and then you are back to laying down  for awhile--don't be nervous ---but that is easier said than done. Just wear comfy clothes. I had no adverse re actions to the stuff they injected either. Took maybe 2 hours. 

Honored Contributor

I had one and that was enough when the shoot the med to make your heart beat rapidly, I though I was going to pass out, thank the lord my doctor happened to be there and she kept me calm

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My son couldn't finish the treadmill test due to wearing a face mask. They finished it with shot and he didn't have a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ro I had one a year ago.  Not bad at all. They speed up your heart and just when you really notice and start getting uncomfortable.... it's over!  

Try not to worry, but I understand.  It's over very fast and not bad at all,honestly.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Contributor

Thanks everyone

Trusted Contributor

@Ro wrote:

Scheduled for one next week.

Can't do treadmill due to knee problems.

Extremely nervous.

If you had one, could you share your experience?

Thanks

I've been through this test a couple of times, a few years apart.

From what I can understand, it's done to make sure that your heart is functioning properly.

I had a heart scan done a few weeks before that showed that I had some moderate plaque, so my doctor ordered the Lexiscan test as a follow-up to make sure that the plaque was not interfering with my heart function, which it wasn't doing.

As a result of the scan, I now take a low-dose statin.

I can't walk normally on a treadmill due to mobility issues. I can walk using a walker or if I have something else to hold onto, like a shopping cart in the supermarket. 

I just don't walk too well unattended anymore.

I can go up and down stairs as long as I can hold on to the rails.

So for the times I did the Lexiscan test, they did have me use the treadmill for a little bit and I did walk on it using my legs and feet and hanging on to the treadmill bar with my hands.

When I was starting to get tired, they gave me the medication dose to simulate breathlessness, and then you just breathe normally through it. 

You have a tech. there and a nurse there the whole time to help you who monitors you and you're hooked up to an EKG machine as well so that your heart is monitored.

Try to stay calm and don't panic when they give you the medication that simulates being out-of-breath on a treadmill. It is brief, and it will be over before you know it.  Smiley Happy