Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter lives in Northern Virginia.

She just texted me that her youngest son stayed home today with the Norovirus.

She said a text went out to all parents in the area schools that the norovirus was rampant in the schools.

She has 3 other older children (each in different schools).  She's like, "Here we go.....stay away mom".

She knows I have IGG.  In other words I don't have much immunity.  When I get sick it takes a lot for me to get well.

I wonder how long it will take for this to run it's course.

She said it only lasts a few days but it is wicked.  Great!

Anyone else have it yet?

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My oldest daughter lives in Northern Virginia.

She just texted me that her youngest son stayed home today with the Norovirus.

She said a text went out to all parents in the area schools that the norovirus was rampant in the schools.

She has 3 other older children (each in different schools).  She's like, "Here we go.....stay away mom".

She knows I have IGG.  In other words I don't have much immunity.  When I get sick it takes a lot for me to get well.

I wonder how long it will take for this to run it's course.

She said it only lasts a few days but it is wicked.  Great!

Anyone else have it yet?

Have plenty of hand gell and disinfectant wet hand /surface wipes. It is very contagious ! I've seen this run rapamant in hospitals. I  carried wet hand wipes and  disinfected all  door knobs  ect - anything that I was abt to touch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

› norovirus per CDC.gov website
Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. Anyone can get infected and sick with norovirus. You can get norovirus from: Having direct contact with an infected person. Consuming contaminated food or water.
Honored Contributor

That's the one that causes sickness on cruise ships. It loves crowds and places where there are lots of people in close proximity.

It doesn't like zinc or lysine supps.

Esteemed Contributor

Been there, done that.  @Annabellethecat66 Your daughter is right...it only lasts 2 or 3 days (onset to feeling normal again) and it is indeed wicked!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda My daughter in Denver just called.  She said she remembers having it about 4 years ago!  She said she was here in Northern Va and had made arrangements to fly to visit a friend in New York.

She said she could feel herself not 'right' so didn't go.  She said she lost the money of the flight but was sicker than a dog.

I honestly don't remember.  But it really stuck with her.  She said it was on TV there in Denver that it's going through the schools there too.

I have always teased my girls that little children are walking petri dishes!  

So now my daughter in No Va said she's walking around with a rag that has Clorox on it wiping everything.

One teenager is the star on a school play this weekend and one is on a swim team and another on a basketball team.

And so it goes!  Not funny but....I do remember when my girls would get sick and it was just a matter of time before everyone got it.  But it usually goes one...day or two just as the other one gets better ....another gets it...and so on...

I sure don't miss those days.

Back when we were kids we got everything.  I remember measles, mumps (had those more than once).

My daughter showed me the oldest teen's shot record.  OMG!  I've never seen so many things in my life!

She's 17 now.  They keep adding shots these kids need.  It's crazy.

I've read that a problem is that now that us Boomers are old(er) we have lost some of the immunity from when we had these things.  The article said more and more Boomers are coming down with things like measles, etc because we've lost the immunity and there are people coming here who haven't had all of the zillions of shots one has to get here.

I was going to get the flu shot the other day but I was on an antibiotic so they said to wait.  I'm going tomorrow to get that thing.

I will also have to pay for the pneumonia shot because they said over the years I've had 2 of them.  Supposedly, you have to pay after 2 of them.  The shot is over $200 but I'm going to get that thing too.

When it comes to shots (not medicine but shots) I'm like, "Shoot my fanny up".  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@skatting44  I've always been a germ-a-phobe anyway.

I carry hand sanitizer everywhere.  When I get into my car that's the first thing I do is put it on.

Respected Contributor

We were at a birthday party and a little girl showed up sick. Well it was norovirus and 75% of the party dropped like flies. So many people missed work, school it was really bad. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Sweetie, take care of yourself!

One thing that has caused germs to become so strong is they stayed in people at a very low ebb because they didn't finish their antibiotics because they "felt better".  The bottles have always clearly stated to finish the dosage.

Honored Contributor

I always think about the teachers.  They come in contact with all of this stuff.

@ECBG is a dear friend of mine.  She used to be a teacher.  She's amazing...

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I always think about the teachers.  They come in contact with all of this stuff.

@ECBG is a dear friend of mine.  She used to be a teacher.  She's amazing...

@Annabellethecat66 I just LOVE you!

If you care to, and the fam is sick, please come and have Thanksgiving with me!  Lots of vegetables!!! and everything else!!!  (You know how it is to eat with someone that taught nutrition!)

See the source image