Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Nodule In Throat (Update)

[ Edited ]

During my annual exam last Monday my doctor felt a nodule in my throat.  I've already had my thyroid removed, so it's a throat nodule, not thyroid.  I'm going to have an ultrasound on Tuesday to check it out.  I finally Googled this a couple of days ago and found out that most throat nodules are benign.  However, if you are over 50 or have hoarseness in your voice chances of it being malignant are greater.  I'm 59 and have had hoarseness for about a year.  I did have my hoarseness checked out by an ENT doctor about a year ago when it started, and he didn't see anything.  I don't remember what it was called, but he put a camera into my throat through my nose and looked around.  

I just wondered if anyone else has had a nodule in their throat and what it ended up being.  I really don't think it's malignant, but I started getting a little anxious after reading about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

It's easy to self diagnose - don't do that - think really  positive about it.  Let us know how your visit goes Tuesday - thinking good thoughts for you! 

Trusted Contributor

Wishing you the best.  It is frightening when you hear things and then have to wait until tests are taken for better information.  I had a nodule on my throat 30 years ago.  It was thyroid and have been on meds ever since.  The ultrasound will be more helpful for your peace of mind.  Had one just last month (never had the other doctors done one over the 30 years-to my new endocrinolosist's surprise) and it showed several different places where there are small "things" showing up.  Will redo ultrsound focusing more on the "things".  So I empathize with your worry.  Hope all turns out on the good side for you.

Respected Contributor

Don't borrow trouble!  Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

During my annual exam last Monday my doctor felt a nodule in my throat.  I've already had my thyroid removed, so it's a throat nodule, not thyroid.  I'm going to have an ultrasound on Tuesday to check it out.  I finally Googled this a couple of days ago and found out that most throat nodules are benign.  However, if you are over 50 or have hoarseness in your voice chances of it being malignant are greater.  I'm 59 and have had hoarseness for about a year.  I did have my hoarseness checked out by an ENT doctor about a year ago when it started, and he didn't see anything.  I don't remember what it was called, but he put a camera into my throat through my nose and looked around.  

I just wondered if anyone else has had a nodule in their throat and what it ended up being.  I really don't think it's malignant, but I started getting a little anxious after reading about it.

If an ENT looked at your throat about a year ago and didn't see anything, it's probably recent and benign.  I'm glad you're able to have it looked at right away so you won't have to worry for weeks!  Let us know!  Best of luck and HUGS to you!!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I had one (soft palate, not throat.) I had it cauterized off--it was a wart (human papiloma virus.) My surgeon said they don't become cancerous but I don't know where he went to school but where I went and took virology among other courses, yes, they can and do. So I had it biopsied and taken off. Benign and before trouble starts. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

It's easy to self diagnose - don't do that - think really  positive about it.  Let us know how your visit goes Tuesday - thinking good thoughts for you! 

Thank you @hoosieroriginal.  I know I shouldn't have looked it up. I waited several days before I did, and then I couldn't help myself.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@kjae wrote:

Wishing you the best.  It is frightening when you hear things and then have to wait until tests are taken for better information.  I had a nodule on my throat 30 years ago.  It was thyroid and have been on meds ever since.  The ultrasound will be more helpful for your peace of mind.  Had one just last month (never had the other doctors done one over the 30 years-to my new endocrinolosist's surprise) and it showed several different places where there are small "things" showing up.  Will redo ultrsound focusing more on the "things".  So I empathize with your worry.  Hope all turns out on the good side for you.

Thank you @kjae.  I hope all turns out well for you, too.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

If an ENT looked at your throat about a year ago and didn't see anything, it's probably recent and benign.  I'm glad you're able to have it looked at right away so you won't have to worry for weeks!  Let us know!  Best of luck and HUGS to you!!!

Thank you @fortune.  I think it's probably benign, too.  I wish I hadn't Googled it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

Yes, I had one (soft palate, not throat.) I had it cauterized off--it was a wart (human papiloma virus.) My surgeon said they don't become cancerous but I don't know where he went to school but where I went and took virology among other courses, yes, they can and do. So I had it biopsied and taken off. Benign and before trouble starts. 

@Campion    I'm glad yours was benign.  I think mine will be, too, but am just a little anxious.

-Henry David Thoreau