Honored Contributor

I have to change my GP (general practitioner) doc because he is downsizing his practice. I make an appt with a new doc, bring all of my records, my new bloodwork (which has a lot of out of range numbers), fill out four pages of information, including all of my hospitalizations, my chronic illnesses, my meds, my surgical history, and my family's medical history. Since I am 75, there is a plethora of documentation and information. I didn't expect him to read it all at once, but I certainly expected him to review at least the bloodwork and my most current issues.

New doc flips through all of this paperwork very quickly and the first thing he says to me is "I'm very concerned about this [med] you are taking." I have been on this med for 25 years. It is the only med I take that has never given me side effects, it has helped me tremendously with problems that began for me at menopause. He goes on to say he will not feel comfortable prescribing it for me and would rather I be on one of the newer meds for this symptom (far more expensive with a multitude of side effects). I objected, but let the examination (such as it was) proceed. He wants to make other changes as well, which I mostly agree with. So I already have a lot of changes to face.

He wants to see me again after more bloodwork in two weeks. I make the appointment. However, all I can think of is how I will deal with not having the med that has helped me all of these years.

I'm not sure what to do, cancel the second appointment and try another doc, or see him again only to continue the contentious conversation about the med he doesn't like. My feeling is that if a med has always worked, even though it's old (and cheap) that I should not be deprived of it.

Any opinions?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986