Esteemed Contributor
On 4/27/2014 Mama Mia said:
On 4/26/2014 betteb said:
On 4/26/2014 Tissyanne said: Thank all of you for taking the time to reply. He does not take any prescription medications, and has had knee surgery (one knee), but suffers from this in both feet. He has been taking Vitamin B12 for a while. He took Gabapentin with no results. He returns to the neurologist in early May.

Is he taking B12 is the liquid sublingual form? B12 does not survive the intestinal tract very well.

Better yet, take B12 sublingual in what is called methylcobalimin 5000mcg. It absorbs better and faster for neuopathy. Sorry, I cannot cut and paste, so if interested, please look it up. I also take Gabaptnein, 2400 mg a day. Got my neuropathy from chemo, but at least I'm still here. Have the lovely chemo brain too.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

mm

Yes I should have mentioned that is what I take. It is the same type used by Drs to give B12 injections

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

L-glutamine is usually taken ""while"" on chemo to prevent neuropathy.

Super Contributor
WOW! I logged in and forget to hit the Beauty forums! I'm glad I did now b/c I've been up since Sat. morning with my feet hurting! My feet fill like I have put them in a "" fire ant"" bed...plus today has been awful! My Dr changed my breathing treatment this past Monday so I read up on the new med....nothing! I've been getting b12 injections for many years plus I'm on Neurontin 300mg...we tried to increase it last month but it caused edema and I can't afford to have any fluid around my heart or lungs....I will be calling Dr tomorrow b/c this is definitely not going away! Will let you know the outcome.....oh! I'm not diabetic either! Seems like that's the only diagnosis I don't have.... Smiley Happy)))
Honored Contributor
Thanks to all of you for your responses, kind words, and suggestions. He will return to the dr in May for more testing. I hope all of you are able to find relief as well. Thank you.
Super Contributor
On 4/27/2014 Tissyanne said: Thanks to all of you for your responses, kind words, and suggestions. He will return to the dr in May for more testing. I hope all of you are able to find relief as well. Thank you.
Praying for your DH and you! Called my Dr today and she wants me to take 2 Neurontin until I see her next week....here's hoping it works!! Prayers for all you suffering with this strange feeling!
Valued Contributor

This is a great thread. I have been dealing with this for about 3 years. It is caused by my back problem (spinal stenosis). I had it operated on and my back is much better but no change in my legs. I am taking a multi-B call Benfotiamine. I am going to look for the B12 sublingual that was mentioned here. I cannot take the gabbapentin (sp?) I hate that stuff.

Respected Contributor

Bailey, the sublingual can be purchased at a health food sore.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor

there are much newer meds for this condition.

1-Lyrica

2-Savella

Trusted Contributor

Tissyanne, don't start feeding your hubby a bunch of OTC things mentioned here, until your hubbies doctors are finished with ALL testing. That's a sure way to mess test results up, and possibly delay finding the cause of your husbands neuropathy! Remember, NOBODY here is a doctor, so take what you read with a grain of salt. With some conditions, with some people, it just takes more testing to rule out things. Several things can cause neuropathy, some are just harder to pinpoint than others. Again don't start any OTC stuff without checking with your husbands doctor first, and always tell physicians what OTC things you use/take!

Occasional Contributor

As the previous poster stated I would not start any other medications for your husband until all his testing has been done, but I do have one suggestion that you can discuss with his doctor. I am a Sjogrens patient and do also have Periferal Neuropathy in my feet, hands, arms, legs--but the most troublesome is my feet and toes. We tried different things and nothing seemed to work until I was put on Lyrica and now I am basically a new person. I still have pain in different areas at different times, I still am cold in my feet and hands, nose, and other places, but nothing until the extent of what I was, so I am suggesting that you and your husband find out if he is a candidate for this medication. I have lots of allergies to other meds but none to Lyrica at all . Good luck......