Trusted Contributor

Net Carbs - a valid measure?

Recently purchased a couple of Atkins frozen meals to use for quick lunches. I am trying to increase protein and reduce carbs and lose a little weight (lost 10 pounds so far). Both products show low net carb grams on the front of the package with much higher total carb grams on the back. I wasn't familiar with net carbs so looked it up on a few medical & nutritional web sites and found there were some issues.

Net carbs is calculated by taking total carbs minus minus the grams of sugar alcohols, fiber, and glycerine. However this equation is not entirely accurate, because some sugar alcohols and fiber are absorbed by the body so in effect the net carb amount shown is too low.

Also according to the WebMd site: "the problem is that there is no legal definition of the "net," "active," or "impact" carbs popping up on food labels and advertisements. The only carbohydrate information regulated by the FDA is provided in the Nutrition Facts label, which lists total carbohydrates and breaks them down into dietary fiber and sugars".

Other sites basically say just beware and don't get drawn in by the labels on the front of the package. When you see net carbs on the front make sure you read the full info on the back. There is some research that show that sugar alcohols and most fibers do not impact blood sugar levels but some experts also say there isn't enough data to support eliminating those items from the total carb count, especially for diabetics or those prone to high sugar blood levels.

I'm not an expert but when companies essentially make up a new measure to draw attention and sell their product that does concern me. I will still supplement my home cooked items with some of the Atkins and similar products because I don't have blood sugar issues but will be extra diligent about total carbs on the days that I do.

Honored Contributor

Re: Net Carbs - a valid measure?

Sounds a little deep to me for someone to go this far to lose a little weight. Someone that is diabetic or some other carb related health issue I can understand. But to lose a little weight? Can't help you with this one as carbs are and have been pretty much a big staple in my eating program for decades now.

To each be their own.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm fairly certain it comes under the category of marketing malarkey.

Honored Contributor

I lost weight doing Atkins "hard core"...I even used the sticks to measure my ketosis level.

The Atkins shakes and meals do not affect ketosis...the sticks kept changing color, so I assume they work for low carb diets.

Honored Contributor

Just looking over Carb stuff today. This may be of no use but it says (Atkin's book):

"Focus on Net Carbs. This means that you count only the grams of carbohydrate that impact your blood sugar level, not of total carbs, since fiber doesn't sabotage your body's use of fat."

That's just one small part. You may want to see if you can find any info on the Atkin's web site page. Don't know. Haven't seen it myself.

Respected Contributor

In calculating net carbs, I only reduce the total carbs by the amount of fiber. Sugar alcohol does have some effect on me personally, though not major. My SIL's diabetic nutritionist also advised him that for calculating net carbs to only reduce by the fiber amount.

Super Contributor

On 5/28/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

In calculating net carbs, I only reduce the total carbs by the amount of fiber. Sugar alcohol does have some effect on me personally, though not major. My SIL's diabetic nutritionist also advised him that for calculating net carbs to only reduce by the fiber amount.

I count total carbs, but I follow low carb to keep my blood sugar under control - not to lose weight. I do find, however, that the carbs from fiber do cause a much slower impact on my blood sugar than other sources. With diabetes, there are a lot of things at play besides carbs, though. The total bulk of any given meal, for example. Even how much protein we eat at a time since our livers are good at converting protein.... BUT, that is not what you asked, lol.

I will say, though, that the sugar alcohols that are not supposed to be counted on plans such as Atkins - those all raise my blood sugar. Some almost as much as if I'd eaten regular sugar. I know that I'm not the only one this happens to! I've read on different low carb forums that many people had to stop eating the Atkins bars, 'sugar free' candies and such because those things stalled their weight loss. It doesn't surprise me since the total carb count on a lot of those it pretty high.

I think that if you are curious how your body reacts to those things, go pick up an inexpensive glucose monitor and test yourself before and after eating something with sugar alcohols. Erythritol is the sugar alcohol that is supposed to have the lowest impact.

Super Contributor

Since you posted that you have no blood sugar issues, I would not be overly concerned with net carbs. For the most part, I find all of it questionable because I still see a rise in my blood sugars after eating some of the Atkins bars and meals. But then again I am a Type 1 diabetic.

A diet consisting of lowered caloric intake will still get you to your goal. Carbohydrates do play a part in losing weight but moderation still will make your weight loss permanent rather than a diet concentrating on sugar alcohols and net carbs.

Best of luck to you!Smile

Honored Contributor

I agree that if you are not diabetic you should not focus on net carbs. My diabetes educator said if a food had 4 or more grams of fiber per serving you could subtract it from the total carbs for counting purposes. She was referencing that for a type 2 diabetic though.