Respected Contributor

Nausea: medication side effects

A friend is taking some high powered meds and having constant nausea. He was given the same meds as given to those taking cancer treatments. He says he is getting some relief with CBD gummies. Any suggestions?

Any pearls for increasing appetite?

Thank you friends

Honored Contributor

Re: Nausea: medication side effects

HERBIE.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

When my daughter had cancer they gave her Zofran for the nausea.

Respected Contributor

What does his doctor say?  When I was on chemo, my doctor told me to take only certain anti-nausea meds, or I'd risk adverse interactions.  CBD is not always harmless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For nausea because of other rx's I've had doctors prescribe promethazine.

I think and my daughter does too that it works better than this other one, Zofran (odansetron is the generic).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

For nausea because of other rx's I've had doctors prescribe promethazine.

I think and my daughter does too that it works better than this other one, Zofran (odansetron is the generic).

@on the bay 

I've had chronic nausea all my life and took promethazine (generic phenergan)  (1) 2-3 times a day as needed, for 15 years.

My Gastro Dr. recently retired and the new one refused to give it to me, saying it's been determined to be addictive.

WHAT? Then why when he cut me off so suddenly, did I not have any type of withdrawal, other than barely being able to eat now?

I struggle to keep my weight about 105 lbs.

I've been offered (and tried) Zofran many times over the years and it did nothing at all.

I do better taking Benadryl, after all, that's all phenergan is, an antihistamine.

Promethazine (Oral Route) Description and Brand Names - Mayo Clinic

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since my first chemo treatment in 2017 I was given a script (and refilled a couple of times) for odensatron, generic for Zofran to keep on hand. I SWEAR by it.

The first time I had some chemo related nausea I was in Safeway and pulled it out of my purse. I was so shakey that I asked a nearby employee to help me get it off the blister pack. She was so sweet and helped me and asked if I needed to sit down or anything.

It works, I swear, within 1 minute. I need it now and then and am grateful to have it.

Respected Contributor

@vsm wrote:

What does his doctor say?  When I was on chemo, my doctor told me to take only certain anti-nausea meds, or I'd risk adverse interactions.  CBD is not always harmless.

Unfortunately, his doctors say they do not have anyting to offer him. He is in late stage Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom,

I've heard benedryl can work for nausea too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Natural remedies that work:

sucking on crystallized ginger candies, chewing ginger gum     

drinking ginger tea and flat ginger ale

* taking a daily probiotic complex supplement