Honored Contributor

Prevnar 20 Pneumococcol Vaccine

I haven't seen any discussion on this latest entry into the vaccine wars.  Actually it was approved by the FDA last June and ads are currently running on TV.  It does have some side-effect, the usual for a vaccine, is said to be expensive and must be administered by a health care professional.  Its not a pharmacy product.

I saw my doctor today and she talked me into it.  So far, no reaction whatsoever.  Not even a sore arm.

I've had several friends get pneumonia and die, so want to protect myself as much as possible.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Re: Prevnar 20 Pneumococcol Vaccine

Keep us updated.  I would like my Husband to get it.  

Thanks for the info.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I had a pneumonia vaccine when I was 60 or so. Then another vaccine came out that was supposed to be better, and I took it in the last 10 years or so. I am going to have to dig through my records to see what I have had. I did not realize the ads on TV were for an entirely new vaccine. I am glad you made this post. I saw my doctor last week, and he did not even discuss it with us. I guess I will learn about it on my own.

Honored Contributor

@On It    This is the third Pneumococcol vaccine I've had.  The last one was Prevnar13.  The latest is supposed to protect against new strains and varients.  You can read about it on their website.

I've had so many vaccines, I feel like a collector.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I got the shot.  I never has a reaction to any of the shots.

Well a slight one to the booster Covid shot.

Respected Contributor

I saw the commercials but didn't pay too much attention.  I thought it was for Prevnar 13, which I had.  I'll have to look into it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the Prevnar 13 shot in November. The next one won't be due until later this year. I don't think anymore are required after the second one. 

When I get the next shot, I'll find out which one is available. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I haven't seen any discussion on this latest entry into the vaccine wars.  Actually it was approved by the FDA last June and ads are currently running on TV.  It does have some side-effect, the usual for a vaccine, is said to be expensive and must be administered by a health care professional.  Its not a pharmacy product.

I saw my doctor today and she talked me into it.  So far, no reaction whatsoever.  Not even a sore arm.

I've had several friends get pneumonia and die, so want to protect myself as much as possible.

That may be the case where you live but Costco is administering them in my area.  It's called Pneumovax23 and it's $117.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That may be the case where you live but Costco is administering them in my area.  It's called Pneumovax23 and it's $117.

@CelticCrafter   I just Googled whether Pneumovax23 and Prevnar 20 are the same thing.  I had the Pneumovax23 vaccine last summer at my pharmacy.  

They are not the same thing.  This is from the JamaNetwork website:  

From The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
December 28, 2021

Two New Pneumococcal Vaccines—Prevnar 20 and Vaxneuvance

JAMA. 2021;326(24):2521-2522. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.22119

Full Text

The FDA has licensed two new pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) for prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease in adults: Prevnar 20 (PCV20; Pfizer), which contains antigens from 20 serotypes of pneumococcus, and Vaxneuvance (PCV15; Merck), which contains antigens from 15 serotypes. Two other pneumococcal vaccines are available in the US: Prevnar 13 (PCV13; Pfizer), a 13-valent conjugate vaccine licensed for use in persons ≥6 weeks old, and Pneumovax 23 (PPSV23; Merck), a 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine licensed for use in persons ≥2 years old (Table 1).1

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

When the "13" came out, we all got that one.  Later the "23" came out and we got that one.

I always understood that once you got the "23" you were done since it covered them all, where the others were lacking.

So maybe the "20" is short three and you still need the stronger?