Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

One of my thumb nails is distorted from an old injury. It grows uneven and it's thicker on one side. I use a nail-sanding tool to flatten and even it out so it looks half decent. I have to use polish on it to cover the discoloration, too. pita.

@SilleeMee     I have one of those, too!    ROYAL pita.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   

Seriously, Don't even THINK about having the nail removed. Had it done 6 years ago Big Toe (and 4th toe). . WORST pain of my life.

Dr. stuck a big needle in my toes to numb them.  then the anesthesia wore off. Agony for weeks. he gave me antibiotic drops used for ear infections.worked better than the iodine.

The big toe nail has grown back but it's nubby looking and a lot smaller now, the size of a postage stamp.   Took a long time to heal and i wore orthopedic sandals with socks for months. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had two toenails removed for an infection.  They took their sweet time growing back and little bare nubs just look bad.  Polish peels too!

They still are odd, but can be filed into shape.  Maybe that would be a good  way out of this mess?

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline   My husband had two nails  permanently removed from his toes.  He kept getting really bad ingrown nails.  He did not have that kind of pain you describe.  

My 14 yer old grandson had the toe nails popped off  of two toes about two weeks ago.  He is wearing sandals instead of sneakers around the house, but he isn't in any pain. His nail will grow back.  He spent the night with us last Friday night wearing socks and slide sandals.

It sounds like you had a bad infection that caused pain like that. Toe nail removal is not pleasant, but not excessively painful.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CatsyCline   My husband had two nails  permanently removed from his toes.  He kept getting really bad ingrown nails.  He did not have that kind of pain you describe.  

My 14 yer old grandson had the toe nails popped off  of two toes about two weeks ago.  He is wearing sandals instead of sneakers around the house, but he isn't in any pain. His nail will grow back.  He spent the night with us last Friday night wearing socks and slide sandals.

It sounds like you had a bad infection that caused pain like that. Toe nail removal is not pleasant, but not excessively painful.

@Carmie  have you personally had your toenails removed? the nail was not just POPPED OFF.  The Nails and their Root were removed.  The Dr said there was no infection. Just Slow healing.

i know you are a be all end all expert on everything from Medicare to Cosmetology but don't be telling me how i should have or do  feel pain! Really!!

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie  have you personally had your toenails removed? the nail was not just POPPED OFF.  The Nails and their Root were removed.  The Dr said there was no infection. Just Slow healing.

i know you are a be all end all expert on everything from Medicare to Cosmetology but don't be telling me how i should have or do  feel pain! Really!!

@CatsyCline   No, I admit I have never had a doctor remove my toenail.  I did injure a big toe and lost my nail naturally. It was tender for a while.

I was with my DH when he had his nails removed permanently. He was not in that much pain after they were removed with a chemical compound according to him and my grandson said it did not hurt when his nails were removed, but he was uncomfortable when his shoes rubbed his toes afterward. Chemicals is the most common way to destroy the matrix so the nail will not regrow.

If your root or matrix is removed or badly damaged , the nail will not grow back...and yes, the doctor does pop off the nails after numbing is applied.  The procedure is called avulsion. This method doesn't damage the matrix.

I trust that you were in extreme pain after your procedure, but you told the OP to not have her nails removed.  What if her doctor feels that is the best way to treat her problem?  Why scare her with your experience? Who does that?

I think most people have a better experience than you did.

Yes, I know a lot about hair, skin and nails, Medicare, and real estate.  I hold several licenses here in PA...one for cosmetology, another for real estate and one for health insurance. I am not perfect, but I am very knowledgeable in those areas.  I studied hard to learn and pass the state boards.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@CatsyCline   No, I admit I have never had a doctor remove my toenail.  I did injure a big toe and lost my nail naturally. It was tender for a while.

I was with my DH when he had his nails removed permanently. He was not in that much pain after they were removed with a chemical compound according to him and my grandson said it did not hurt when his nails were removed, but he was uncomfortable when his shoes rubbed his toes afterward. Chemicals is the most common way to destroy the matrix so the nail will not regrow.

If your root or matrix is removed or badly damaged , the nail will not grow back...and yes, the doctor does pop off the nails after numbing is applied.  The procedure is called avulsion. This method doesn't damage the matrix.

I trust that you were in extreme pain after your procedure, but you told the OP to not have her nails removed.  What if her doctor feels that is the best way to treat her problem?  Why scare her with your experience? Who does that?

I think most people have a better experience than you did.

Yes, I know a lot about hair, skin and nails, Medicare, and real estate.  I hold several licenses here in PA...one for cosmetology, another for real estate and one for health insurance. I am not perfect, but I am very knowledgeable in those areas.  I studied hard to learn and pass the state boards.  

@Carmie  oh good grief .   it was painful. like anyone on this board i shared MY experience.  anyone can take it or leave it.

Kate Mckinnon GIFs | Tenor

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Mom2Dogs 

Just wondering if you have spoken with your Podiatrist, or someone on the Medical Staff at the office. Or, maybe some of the stories/suggestions in posts by others in your thread, have helped you any. Just curiosity.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   I have not spoken with a doctor but have an appointment a few months out.  After reading the replies here I might just 'watch' the nail for a while and see if with proper trimming and filing I can make the nail look more normal.

Honored Contributor

My friend gets her toe nails looked after by her manicurist.She is prone to ingrown nails and they do something to the nail to prevent that....maybe yours could file the nail a bit to make it look flatter.I would ask my doctor to be sure that it isn't infected.