Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL Playoffs Week Two!!!!

I'm thinking Colts RB Trent Richardson could be on his way out. He was listed as a "healthy scratch" (I never heard those words used before) and wasn't even dressed in uniform. To have him absent in such an important game speaks volumes. There was no report of an injury, either. Since Ahmad Bradshaw is on IR, the running game fell on Daniel Herron and Zurlon Tipton (I like that name), and both performed well.

Richardson has been a disappointment, yet the coaches continued to back him. Until this last game. Maybe Pagano has started to give up on him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts eventually let Richardson go, although I haven't heard any news on that yet.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

And this was an interesting day. Rex Ryan formally agrees to coach the Bills who only have one quarterback (EJ Manuel) on their roster. Sure, what could go wrong? It's not like he's had trouble developing a young quarterback. Oh yeah, that's right, he has.

John Fox is now gone from the Broncos and it looks like they're pretty much flushing the team. I'm thinking Peyton Manning will also decide to hang it up as the Broncos have a ton of free agents they're unlikely to be able to re-sign. The Broncos look like they've decided to go into rebuilding mode. That could be very good news for Andy Reid and the Chiefs. I'm wondering what Elway's plans are for a new head coach? I wonder if he's intrigued my Mark Helfrich? How weird would it be for two Oregon head coaches to be head coaches in the NFL in three years? Maybe one of the Shanahan's is in Elway's plans? Maybe Gary Kubiak? It'll be interesting to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And we have more new head coaches. Jack Del Rio is now the head coach of the Raiders and Todd Bowles is now the head coach of the Jets.

Marcus Mariota has now declared for the draft as speculation continues over where he'll be drafted. Some are still saying first overall while others have him falling a bit to a lot farther. The fact that recent college running quarterbacks (RGIII, Manziel, Kaepernick, etc.) haven't been great might scare off a few suitors. Does a team take a chance on a running QB when there's a "sure thing" player at a position of need? We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And add the Niners to the teams that have a new head coach. They've signed Jim Tomsula to be their new coach. Now, if you're like me you probably said, "Who?" It turns out he's their current defensive line coach. That's a heck of a promotion. and a big time gamble by the Niners. There are lots of "name" coaches out there now looking for work and he's not one of them. Taking a guy who's been coaching the defensive line and making him the head coach is a pretty gutsy move. We'll have to see how it plays out for them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Rex Ryan has stated that he plans on the Bills going to the playoffs. That's confidence, but maybe he should get the quarterback situation in hand first.

Jim Tomsula will become well known after awhile. Whether it will be good or bad publicity remains to be seen.

Colt's linebacker, Josh McNary, has been charged with rape. He is a back up and hasn't played in any of the post season games, so he's been a non-factor as of late. But this is a distraction the team doesn't need right now. The Colts' office knows about the charges, but hasn't made any formal statement or moves until they have more information. My guess is that McNary will eventually be waived from the team. As a rule, the Colts don't tolerate any off the field issues. I don't understand why some players just can't stay out of trouble. is si that difficult?

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Washington hires Bill Callahan former Cowboys OC ......Callahan's title is offensive line coach. He received a lucrative three-year contract, the sources said.

Callahan lost play-calling responsibilities after one season when coach Jason Garrett, left, hired Scott Linehan.

Callahan had offers from teams as both an offensive coordinator and offensive line coach before deciding to join the Redskins.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones expressed an interest in retaining Callahan, and the Cowboys initially requested they receive a chance to counter any offer Callahan received. But it was evident quickly that any number of the eight teams reportedly showing interest in Callahan would make more competitive offers.

Callahan was part of Jon Gruden's staff with the Raiders and became the head coach when Gruden was traded to Tampa Bay. Callahan coached the Raiders to the Super Bowl, where they lost to Gruden's Buccaneers. As we all know, Jay Gruden, Jon's brother, is coach of the Redskins.

Callahan is regarded among the best line coaches in the league and has played a significant role in developing three first-round draft picks who started for the Cowboys. The offensive line helped running back Murray lead the NFL in rushing.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 1/14/2015 teganslaw said:

Rex Ryan has stated that he plans on the Bills going to the playoffs. That's confidence, but maybe he should get the quarterback situation in hand first.

Jim Tomsula will become well known after awhile. Whether it will be good or bad publicity remains to be seen.

Colt's linebacker, Josh McNary, has been charged with rape. He is a back up and hasn't played in any of the post season games, so he's been a non-factor as of late. But this is a distraction the team doesn't need right now. The Colts' office knows about the charges, but hasn't made any formal statement or moves until they have more information. My guess is that McNary will eventually be waived from the team. As a rule, the Colts don't tolerate any off the field issues. I don't understand why some players just can't stay out of trouble. is si that difficult?

Hey TEGAN....Rex did a phone interview with Mike and Mike on ESPN and said he plans to run smash mouth football....and run, run, run with an occasional pass to Sammy Watkins when the opponent least expects it....sounds like he has a plan and it seems with the emphasis on the running game, they will just make do with EJ Manuel at QB...

Tomsula was a strange hire for the 49ers....we will have to wait and see how it turns out....

Del Rio was a decent hire for the Raiders and interesting that John Madden was included in the selection process.....

It looks like Denver wants Kubiak, but he's said he's happy in Baltimore...

It seems that teams with problems on their offense are ignoring it and going for defensive coaches....well I hope they select a good OC and QB coach because the Jets, 49ers, and Bills need someone to help with the deficiencies on the offense....even Kapernick can use some additional coaching to help him improve.....

As for Josh McNary seeing the NFL is dishing out strong penalties including terminating a player's NFL career for bad off field conduct, so you would think players would take extra precautions on how they act....but some never learn and deserve to be waived...

I'm not sure how I feel about Callahan being hired...he got his play calling duties taken away but he is supposed to be a good offense line coach....so maybe he can coach up our last year's draft pick, Morgan Moses and maybe we can draft additional help for our Oline...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 1/14/2015 gardenman said:

And we have more new head coaches. Jack Del Rio is now the head coach of the Raiders and Todd Bowles is now the head coach of the Jets.

Marcus Mariota has now declared for the draft as speculation continues over where he'll be drafted. Some are still saying first overall while others have him falling a bit to a lot farther. The fact that recent college running quarterbacks (RGIII, Manziel, Kaepernick, etc.) haven't been great might scare off a few suitors. Does a team take a chance on a running QB when there's a "sure thing" player at a position of need? We'll have to see.

GARDENMAN I have a feeling that since these option QB's have struggled, that Winston will be the #1 pick in the draft......

So do you think Chip would consider making a deal to get the Oregon Duck QB? It's been mentioned...

Honored Contributor

SPURT. It would depend on the price. Most experts have Mariota going sixth to the Jets if he doesn't go first which would require the Eagles moving into the top five to get him. I think that price would be too high. If he gets to the teens then I could see Chip making the move up.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Ravens may have to look for a new Offensive Coordinator. I hope not.

Denver needs a new head coach and our OC Gary Kubiak is buddies with John Elway. Kubiak said earlier that he wasn't going anywhere, but now this opportunity has come up. Wonder what he'll do?

Denver Post: If Gary Kubiak will change his mind about becoming an NFL head coach again for his good friend John Elway, there appears to be little question that he will become the man to beat for the Broncos job.

I'm thinking he'll take it. That would be horrible for us.