Honored Contributor

With the scouting combine now underway and free agency rapidly nearing it's time to get back into football mode a bit.

The Eagles have made a couple of smart moves so far this offseason. They've renegotiated the contract with Cullen Jenkins freeing up a million or two in cap space for next year and he and they are both very happy with the new deal. They've also signed Trent Edwards (the former Bills quarterback) to a one year deal to backup Mike Vick. The Vince Young experiment was a dismal failure, so we needed a new veteran backup and the Eagles worked out Trent Edwards on multiple occasions and then signed him.

From February 20-March 5 teams can place the franchise tag on a player they want to keep. I haven't heard of any team using the tag yet though which is unusual. I guess they're hoping that ongoing negotiations with the players they're looking to keep will be fruitful and they won't have to use the tag. Expect a flurry of tags being assigned around the fifth though if contracts aren't signed.

Some news out of the scouting combine is that the Eagles were one of the first teams to interview the Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. They're probably just exercising due diligence and checking him out, but with a mid round first and two second round picks they might have the ammunition to make a move up to get him if they really wanted to. I don't think he'll get past that second pick overall. I'm pretty sure the Rams will trade out of there and let one of the teams that needs a quarterback jump up and get him, but we'll have to see. If some of the needier teams address the quarterback spot through free agency then he could slip a bit.

There's been lots of talk coming out of the Cowboys camp about the lack of leadership on the team. It'll be interesting to see how Jerry Jones feels about that chatter. It'll also be interesting to see if any player tries to step up and fill that void.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!