Honored Contributor

My Surgery is done

[ Edited ]

hello all

I. had my surgery yesterday for installation of a pacemaker for bladder/colon. the surgery was about an hour or so. The twilight sleep was unreal to say the least. i was fully awake but could not move a muscle,I could hear everything going on,just could not scream,talk,yell all i could do was lay motionless. the installation of the electrodes for pacemaker had to be precise (that may be why I had to be totally motionless),a florascope had to be used to make sure the electrodes were put on the correct sacral nerve (i was told there are 4 nerves in sacral area one is for the bladder/colon) i guess that is a simple explanation. i was laying fully on my stomach, whole back side exposed,feet were off the end of the table up jacked up on a gel pad (looked like one of the cement abutments in parking lots for cars), i did stop breathing several times, had to jerked awake to make sure i was still alive. it was a scary twilight sleep for me. 

I was given a cell phone type instrument to either turn up or turn down the stimulation on my bladder/colon area. the device was set at 7, that was to high for me, so over yesterday/afternoon-evening i played with the numbers. I went from 7-6-5-4 , I did kind of get frightened for a bit because before the device was implanted i was using the bathroom every hour to 2 hours 24-7 days a week. could not control anything, i have a 10 year supply of always pads in my shed, going thru those like no end, changing every time i used the bathroom, could not stop the flow. 

I have had 2 bladder lifts since 1983, i have taken so many pills most did not help or I got super high blood pressure which to this day i have not been able to get rid of because of one of the pills i took.

my back is sore, have to sit down gently. can't do much lifting nothing over 5 pounds for 2 weeks, no back showers, you can take a shower but don't get back wet. I had my husband cut a garbage bag down, duct tape it over the incisions (I do have 2 incisions on my back -1 on right where the electrodes are and 1 on left). Why I have an incision on the left that I do not know. If the doctor told me after the surgery I can not remember what he said (I was semi out of it). 

this is just a trial run, if the device works like it should it will be a keeper and a permanent pacemaker will be implanted under the skin on the 23rd of August.

Would I do it over, yes I would, anything to get relief. After many many many years of running to the bathrooms where I was up all night long hour after hour after hour, I just could not handle it any longer. 

Sure hope it keeps getting better, So far SO GOOD.

that is my story 

Honored Contributor

@viva923  Wow! That was some surgery, I have never heard of anything like that before.

I find the explanation interesting as I have a friend that has a bladder issue and is running to the bathroom all day and all night long.  I wonder if this would be an option for her?

Glad things went well for you and  the twilight sounds a tad scary...take care and hopefully this was successful and you can have a permanent device implanted.

Respected Contributor

@viva923 

I am happy your surgery was a success.  Bet that "twilight sleep" was scary!  

I hope you will have complete healing and your pacemaker will be everything you need to relieve your bladder issues.🙏🙏

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@viva923 @Thank you for sharing your experience.

I've NEVER believed it when people say "over-sharing"...or whatever people say about sharing experiences with each other.

It was so kind of you to take the time to explain what you went through.

I think if someone else here is experiencing similar symptoms, it might help them.

I think you are amazing for undergoing this procedure.

I recently was telling my youngest daughter that once you get old(er) the things you have to have done to your body is ALL elective..but not really.

Again, thanks for taking the time to teach us we don't have to live with something that can become serious and difficult to live with.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the update. I'm so glad you're on the other side of surgery and can get some relief from such a life altering problem. Hugs to you and for all you've been through. 💚

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923  I have never heard of this, but I hope that you have a successful recovery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@viva923    Best of luck for a favorable outcome.  It sounds as though you've earned it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@viva923 I will be praying that this is a total success for you on your long journey to finding relief and quality of life!  Bless you for sharing.

Respected Contributor
@viva923, I wish you all the best in recovering from this procedure & that it becomes very helpful to controlling your issues. You are also so very kind to share the details & your reactions so that others may benefit if needing this procedure too.

Take extra good care of yourself & may each day find you getting better! ❤️🌺🌈
Esteemed Contributor

@viva923.  I hope your bladder starts behaving itself!!  I do understand.

Sounds like your procedure went well, all things considered.  These issues are horrible to deal with and I pray you will have relief.