Trusted Contributor

Re: My Post op Knee replacement issues

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I would agree with you; however, at the facility run by my surgeon they only have a PT, not a DPT.

I went for my first session last Thursday and the PT raved about my progress...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...I sat on that hard "bed" then she had me do the bike (that I got my leg all around) for 7 minutes.  When I left after an hour of exercises I was sore and tired.

I suffer with IBS (irritable bowel) and am still on the 88mg blood thinner baby aspirin.  As a result of sitting on those hard surfaces including the hard bike seat I had a very difficult digestive incident I'd rather not go into more detail about here. 

Suffice it to say, I called my PCP immediately (emailed him) and he agreed I should NOT return to PT until I'm off the blood thinner and my surgical healing progresses some more.  I will follow that advice.

Honored Contributor

There therapist should NOT, under any circumstances have removed the Durabond!  Her office should have told her to that and she should have known better.  That should have only been done by in the surgeon's office, they are the ones who check for post op healing.  Not some physical therapist.  Yes, indeed.  I'm sure the surgeon's office will have a firm talk with that home health agency.  I did not have Durabond, I had stitches.  Everyone I know had stitches.  I know in years past, patients had post op pain like you are having but I think that doesn't really happen today because they have us up and exersizing....a lot...right after surgery so the artificial joint loosens and we don't develop any adhesions.  I had a 30 day prescription for Oxycodone and my surgeon insisted that I take it because he wanted me to get the full benefit of my home PT and that would not be possible if I was in pain.  So, I actually never had any pain.  Keep exersizing and icing your knee and exersize it as much as you can.  The rehab part really is the hardest part of having the knee replaced and the most important part.  Hang in there.  It gets better as the days go by.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  wrote:

I learned with both knees that physical therapists can push too hard. First time around, everything was great until that last week before I was scheduled to return to work, and my PT had me pushing weights. I had worked up to 80 lbs; my knee and legs were strong and it was good. But then 80 wasn't enough; I pushed 90 and then 100 and then i quit PT. I reported the incident to my Dr, who chewed out the PT, and my return to work date was delayed a week due to soreness in my knee.

2nd time around my PT tried to overwork me from the get go. I had considerable bleeding from the incision on the day after surgery, and it continued to seep until I started PT on day 5. I left my first 3 sessions in tears with my knee bleeding. Trust me, I'm no wuss, and was quick to tell my therapist when the pain was too much. When I had my first recheck appt and the durabond was removed, the incision above the top of my kneecap was split wide open! I still managed to reach my PT goals in 6 more sessions, but it took from Nov to Feb for the incision to fully close.

I understand your pain ! I know how important rehab is and glad you are recovered. I see that the durabond was not removed until your first post op appt. That's apparently what my doctors plan was. Thanks for your feedback because as I said in my OP the therapist started removing it 2 weeks post sx. I'm just glad this is the last time for this surgery period.  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote: how many weeks since surgery?

Surgery 9/30/19, 5 weeks on 11/4

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@SeaMaidenwrote: how many weeks since surgery?

Surgery 9/30/19, 5 weeks on 11/4

It was a game changer for me by my 8th week..... just saying... hang in there and see how you feel in three more weeks.  Sometimes the internal healing takes a lot of time.  I had bilateral knee replacement in 2013.   

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda   That is very interesting.  When my DH needed a PT to help with shoulder pain (no surgery or anything) golf injury.  I called 3 local therapy practices and everyone had at least 3 DPT on staff!  The clinic he goes to has 6!  No association with an ortho. office.

It must be a location issue.  

Respected Contributor

Continued update on my post op knee placement. As I previously stated I went to therapy and due to the intense tx I am back on my walker as of last Thursday. Well the pain did not improve as a matter of fact it got worse and by Sunday night 11/3 I ended up in the ER for severe pain and muscle spasms down the outside of my right leg.  I was in tears and just could not take it. I was given pain meds which helped. call from my doctors office on Monday and told me to keep it elevated, pain meds and ice for a few days, cancel therapy until improved. I have improved, still on the walker, haven't had to take any pain meds for a couple of days and I started my home PT sessions again, taking it slow. I do feel better, still knee swelling but not as bad.  I will certainly be glad when this is done !