Respected Contributor

My Post op Knee replacement issues

A little set back but as they say it's a setup for success. Went to therapy last Tuesday, therapist pushed down on my knee to get it loosened up and she massaged it (it was very painful but I understand it has to be done) Left there on my cane and by the next day it was so painful that I ended up going back on my walker Thursday afternoon. Had my first post op appointment Thursday morning, incision had started bleeding (this was before the therapist  massaged the knee so it was not her fault). The home nurse/therapist had started removing the durabond tape (as she was told to do by her office) 2 weeks after surgery. The doctor's office was very upset and wanted to know the therapist name so they can contact her.  The bleeding has stopped, Doctor says everything looks good (THANK GOODNESS !!)  Has anyone else had the durabond ? I had sutures for my 2015 Left knee replacement, don't recall this much pain.  I'm still using the walker, still painful to bend my knee but I'm doing the exercises as best I can.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Post op Knee replacement issues

I never had those experiences when my knee was replaced two years ago. I think you need to work with your surgeon to be sure you are receiving the proper PT. You may want to change your physical therapist.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

A little set back but as they say it's a setup for success. Went to therapy last Tuesday, therapist pushed down on my knee to get it loosened up and she massaged it (it was very painful but I understand it has to be done) Left there on my cane and by the next day it was so painful that I ended up going back on my walker Thursday afternoon. Had my first post op appointment Thursday morning, incision had started bleeding (this was before the therapist  massaged the knee so it was not her fault). The home nurse/therapist had started removing the durabond tape (as she was told to do by her office) 2 weeks after surgery. The doctor's office was very upset and wanted to know the therapist name so they can contact her.  The bleeding has stopped, Doctor says everything looks good (THANK GOODNESS !!)  Has anyone else had the durabond ? I had sutures for my 2015 Left knee replacement, don't recall this much pain.  I'm still using the walker, still painful to bend my knee but I'm doing the exercises as best I can.

I had my right knee replaced on Oct 9th and believe I had the Durabond tape (didn't know the name).  My incision is just about healed at this point.  I went for my first post-op visit with my surgeon a week ago Friday and HE removed the strip (PT was sent to my home 3X week for 2 weeks).

He ordered me into his PT facility 2X/week for 3 weeks.  My personal care assistant (nurse) has to take me to all appointments as I can't drive  yet.

At this point I'm off the walker and using a cane.  I have very little pain during the day but still ice the knee and do my exercises at least 3X/day.  At night, I DO have some pain and use Tylenol as needed.

So glad the worst is hopefully behind you and you're making positive progress each day. 

I can't wait to drive!!

Respected Contributor

I had stitches in mine when it was done & a drain tube in the hospital. It will hurt for some time when doing the exercises but they have to be done to get better. I had PT at home for 3 weeks then was sent for out patient therapy. The hardest part for me was not being able to drive as I live alone.

Trusted Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Me too!!!  Can't wait to drive!!

Respected Contributor

@pdlindawrote:

I had my right knee replaced on Oct 9th and believe I had the Durabond tape (didn't know the name).  My incision is just about healed at this point.  I went for my first post-op visit with my surgeon a week ago Friday and HE removed the strip (PT was sent to my home 3X week for 2 weeks).

He ordered me into his PT facility 2X/week for 3 weeks.  My personal care assistant (nurse) has to take me to all appointments as I can't drive  yet.

At this point I'm off the walker and using a cane.  I have very little pain during the day but still ice the knee and do my exercises at least 3X/day.  At night, I DO have some pain and use Tylenol as needed.

So glad the worst is hopefully behind you and you're making positive progress each day. 

I can't wait to drive!!

I was looking forward to being able to drive but still can't because of the pain and stiffness. Thank goodness for my boyfriend who has been right by my side, takes me to therapy, cooks and cleans my apartment. I had been able to walk around home without my cane until that Tuesday therapy session !  I"m  so glad you are progessing well, all the best to you. I will get  there and like you I can't wait to drive !

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@pdlindawrote:

I can't wait to drive!!

I was looking forward to being able to drive but still can't because of the pain and stiffness. Thank goodness for my boyfriend who has been right by my side, takes me to therapy, cooks and cleans my apartment. I had been able to walk around home without my cane until that Tuesday therapy session !  I"m  so glad you are progessing well, all the best to you. I will get  there and like you I can't wait to drive !

Thanks so much! 

I budgeted for 4 weeks of my personal care nurse (very expensive) who essentially does what your boyfriend does for you!! 

Therefore, with Christmas coming up and 7 grandchildren involved I'm going to have to hope that I can get to driving so I may resume a somewhat normal schedule without going broke!! LOLOL. 

I know we'll both get there...it just takes time!!

Honored Contributor

I learned with both knees that physical therapists can push too hard. First time around, everything was great until that last week before I was scheduled to return to work, and my PT had me pushing weights. I had worked up to 80 lbs; my knee and legs were strong and it was good. But then 80 wasn't enough; I pushed 90 and then 100 and then i quit PT. I reported the incident to my Dr, who chewed out the PT, and my return to work date was delayed a week due to soreness in my knee.

2nd time around my PT tried to overwork me from the get go. I had considerable bleeding from the incision on the day after surgery, and it continued to seep until I started PT on day 5. I left my first 3 sessions in tears with my knee bleeding. Trust me, I'm no wuss, and was quick to tell my therapist when the pain was too much. When I had my first recheck appt and the durabond was removed, the incision above the top of my kneecap was split wide open! I still managed to reach my PT goals in 6 more sessions, but it took from Nov to Feb for the incision to fully close.
Respected Contributor

We know several orthopedic surgeons (friends not patients of!!) and they each have horror stories on PT or PTA that have completely ruined their surgical work.

One thing I learned from them is ALWAYS confirm you are assigned to a DPT (doctorate of Physical therapy) not a PT and never a PTA (physical therapy assistant)

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   How many weeks since your surgery?