Occasional Contributor
Hi. First, I am sorry for your situation. My husband and I both work in IT. He is 56 and I am 51. After 31 years with the same software company he was laid off in June but fortunately rehired by the same company a week ago. He has taken a non mgmt position with a significant pay cut. The amount of pay was far less important than a steady income. We were very lucky; I was prepared for an uphill battle when he was laid off, including the potential that he would be forced into a career change. I knew it was vey unlikely that he would find a job at the same level and salary. Has your husband pursued any opportunities with his former employer, even if the level and pay may be dramatically different? I am hoping this scenario is a possibility for him/ your family. I would also encourage him to look at IT jobs within the hospital setting. It is a tough pill to swallow but experience in certain areas of IT is not overly valued. There are so many people in positions these days as a result of relationships and connections as opposed to qualifications. In many cases, they are not looking for the most qualified candidates to surround them. I have seen this repeatedly in my career. I am sure this occurs in many fields, not just IT. It's disheartening to say the least but the harsh reality of the work environment today. This is the time to pull out his connections too. He has to be flexible, above all else. Best of luck to you and your husband.
Contributor

Make sure his resume is updated, in the new formatting. I was surprised after being self-employed for 20 years how resumes have changed. He needs to do a skill focused rather than employer focused resume. He needs to dress the part and attend job fairs and open interviews...employers will guess at his age and being over 50 it's difficult to get interviews from resume alone. And most of all, tell him to persevere and keep his spirits up...it's not easy nor is it impossible. Good luck.

Honored Contributor
On 8/18/2014 champagnepoodle said:

Maybe encourage him to take anything, even minimum wage at McDonalds, just to bring in some money.

No way.

Not only is it terrible pay, it is also backbreaking labor. My friend managed a Taco Bell at 50 and it ruined his knees and back. You work goofy shifts that make it very difficult to interview and apply at better jobs.

He needs to update his Linked In page, get a DBA and call himself "Mr. Smith's IT Consulting Service". He then needs to go and find another employer like the one he just left...what do you want to bet they just hired ANOTHER guy for 3 months and promised him the job will become permanent if he works really hard!!! Employers are doing that all over...saving themselves benefits from FT workers.
Even if it takes a while, he can tell prospective employers he is a self employed consultant...that way there will be no gap in his employment history.

I never knew how popular I was until I decided to work for myself... There are LOTS of cheap employers out there!

Respected Contributor

Just a follow-up to my previous post. DH is an electrical engineer with a master's degree.

After finding another job, it went away after about 1 year, then we were back to panic mode. Fortunately, another position came up, but that went away too after a year or so.

Companies cut the work force first when they have to cut expenses. After a very long time of unemployment, DH took a minimum pay job at a car dealership driving the shuttle van. He was very well educated with years of experience, but that was not bringing in any offers in his field, so he took the car dealership job just to bring in some money. I was working at the time, but my income was never close to what his once was. We were in trouble.

So, sometimes you have to do something even though it's not even close to what you are experienced in. Sadly, today even those jobs are probably hard to find.

Valued Contributor
On 8/18/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/18/2014 Ms X said:

Katey: That ONE manager decided not to hire your husband means exactly N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Please remember that. Has your husband considered consulting or working on a 1099 basis? I'm not in IT, but I've always worked that way. You make a higher hourly wage to compensate for the lack of benefits, which you then buy on your own and get some nice tax deductions to boot. Perhaps he could consider other ways of working in his field. Certainly, in the future he might be offered employee status with another job. He knows his field and what he can do to get more work. Encourage him and be patient, and don't let this one manager get you down. Best of luck!

I QUIT my corporate job to be a consultant. I wish I did it years ago...after the initial fear that no one would want to hire me - I have more work than before, make more money and am much happier. I do have to buy my own ACA insurance through the state exchange, but there are many deductions you can take advantage of when working for yourself - so it will all work out.

Your DH has years of experience - it priceless to employers. In fact, employers WANT to hire consultants - they prefer just handing over the cash and having you handle all the benefits yourself.

I'm 60 - your DH is 61. Don't let that get him down...he just needs to think outside the box - and consult.

I agree. My sister in law is in IT and she also quit the corporate world and consults. Makes more money than she did and is also happier just like terrier3. Don't give up and he should consider consulting too.

Super Contributor
On 8/18/2014 di-mc said:

Just a follow-up to my previous post. DH is an electrical engineer with a master's degree.

After finding another job, it went away after about 1 year, then we were back to panic mode. Fortunately, another position came up, but that went away too after a year or so.

Companies cut the work force first when they have to cut expenses. After a very long time of unemployment, DH took a minimum pay job at a car dealership driving the shuttle van. He was very well educated with years of experience, but that was not bringing in any offers in his field, so he took the car dealership job just to bring in some money. I was working at the time, but my income was never close to what his once was. We were in trouble.

So, sometimes you have to do something even though it's not even close to what you are experienced in. Sadly, today even those jobs are probably hard to find.

I totally agree, Di-MC. Very Humbling, but you have to support your family. Thanks for a terrific post.

Super Contributor

If he's being offered contract work, he needs to be taking it - it is exceedingly difficult for an older worker to find permanent full-time employment right now. Many corporations are now only hiring part-timers and not offering benefits either.

My own job has, year by year, cut down on what an employee gets in pay and benefits. I haven't had a raise in 10 years, every year my health insurance costs more and has a higher deductible, my company stopped paying for life insurance for us and pays me about $3 more a day to work a major holiday. My vacation time has been cut and I've been called for jury duty and noticed in our handbook they've stopped paying anything for jury duty, so the $25 per day from the court will have to suffice, I guess.

Very sad circumstances.

Super Contributor
I am so sorry to hear this. It is very hard to get employed after age 50 let alone 60. My husband is the same age ...been with his company for 30 years....can not imagine how difficult it would be if he lost his job. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that something good will come for him.
Super Contributor

Katey: Has he registered with the Texas Work Force Commission yet? They routinely have fairs and maybe can connect him with someone in the meantime.

Honored Contributor

My DD is close to jobless tonight. She has been with her company 16 yrs and today it was awful . 2 upper supervisors, pretty much told her today, :her time was short. She knew something was up because last week, (the store manager/ district manager) they told her she had to work on her vacation next week, when she said she had thing planned, they made life miserable all week for her. she is part of the old team. A new larger store bought out the small mom/pop store DD was working at. she is one of the last of the employees that was left from the merger 10 years ago. She knows they have been gunning for her because her pay is quite good, they want to get rid of her to hire a flunky who will earn less money.

Each day she goes into work very depressed not knowing if she will have a job by the end of the day.