Honored Contributor
On 8/20/2014 Katey1261 said:

I just want to thank everyone who has offered advice and encouragement since I first started this thread. I can now say my Husband has got a Job offer today. It is with a huge Company. It is a cut in pay from what he was making. I will say a steady paycheck is better than no paycheck. It will be 15000 less a year. We are both pretty excited though. We were thinking his age may be a problem. He still has two other offers in the fire from other Companies making what he was making and hasn't heard from them as of today. Were both happy. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

That's great news!

Just a thought - If he takes the job that pays less....he should still consider the other two. Even if he has to quit after a month or two for the better job - believe me, there is NO LOYALTY by employers anymore - he needs to make money while he can and not settle for less!

Trusted Contributor

Your husband should accept a contract job while he continues to put out feelers for permanent opportunities. If he has excellent training and experience in a high tech field, he may be able to find excellent opportunities on a contract basis, or he may consider going out on his own as a consultant. Hopefully you and he can get health insurance through the Affordable Care Act till you are old enough to qualify for Medicare. Even if it isn't all that "affordable", it may be worth it. The job market is difficult for older workers nowadays, but contract opportunities can be very promising.

The AARP offers helpful resources for older workers:

http://www.aarp.org/work/on-the-job/info-06-2013/aarp-best-employers-winners-2013.html

http://lifereimagined.aarp.org/?cmp=KNC-MC-GOOGLE-LR-CAREERS&mkwid=snWTxhdAV|dc&pcrid=51503966592&pk...

Super Contributor

Look into your hubby retiring at 62 and finding part time work to make up the income difference. This was the solution we came up with when DH was pushed out of his job working for a small company. (he has a degree in structural engineering) It is impossible to prove age discrimination anymore after a Supreme Court ruling a few years ago.

Few companies are interested in hiring people over 50 when there are so many unemployed recent college grads fighting for jobs. Many of these kids work for free internships in the hope of getting hired.

DH now has a small lawn care service to supplement social security. We are happier, but our options for the future are dependent on keeping in good health.

Respected Contributor
Suggestion for the time while you're in job search or contract work search: take an update course so when you're interviewed you can demonstrate your interest in staying on top of your subject. Too, it shows tremendous initiative - a good investment during trying times. I've had clients who networked their way into companies this way since classmates were on someone's payroll. Good luck and keep moving even when you have to fake it. You never know who's around you, noticing your behavior and they just might have the connection you need. Yes, I was a career counselor ( 1099 consultant ) for several years for a major search firm.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Katey, good luck to you both.

Honored Contributor

Katey1261 - I am so happy for your husband and you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor
On 8/19/2014 kachina624 said: So, with all these suggestions, has the OP disappeared? Apparently she is not too concerned. I hate posters who solicit and get help then never acknowledges everyone's efforts.

Seems strange, evidently he got a job the next day. Hmmm, OP responded that he got a job.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/18/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/18/2014 Ms X said:

Katey: That ONE manager decided not to hire your husband means exactly N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Please remember that. Has your husband considered consulting or working on a 1099 basis? I'm not in IT, but I've always worked that way. You make a higher hourly wage to compensate for the lack of benefits, which you then buy on your own and get some nice tax deductions to boot. Perhaps he could consider other ways of working in his field. Certainly, in the future he might be offered employee status with another job. He knows his field and what he can do to get more work. Encourage him and be patient, and don't let this one manager get you down. Best of luck!

I QUIT my corporate job to be a consultant. I wish I did it years ago...after the initial fear that no one would want to hire me - I have more work than before, make more money and am much happier. I do have to buy my own ACA insurance through the state exchange, but there are many deductions you can take advantage of when working for yourself - so it will all work out.

Your DH has years of experience - it priceless to employers. In fact, employers WANT to hire consultants - they prefer just handing over the cash and having you handle all the benefits yourself.

I'm 60 - your DH is 61. Don't let that get him down...he just needs to think outside the box - and consult.

This!

Your husband is in IT. Have him post his resume on Dice.com and go 1099.

Also, have him look into the technical temp agencies, like Aerotek. They can lead to full time positions.

It will work out.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
I have three friends in the IT business and they have been working contract positions for 4 years since losing their jobs. They are all 61. We see the writing on the wall, so my husband and I are working hard towards retiring at 60. I'm sorry ! I didn't mean to be negative. We have one friend that age who did find full time work. I am just disgusted that companies do this and then hire younger people for less money. Our friend did a lot of networking to find his job. The local church had a group meeting where people helped each other find jobs.