Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

For several years in a row, I got called back for further testing and even had a mamogram one year.  It is very scary.

For the last few years, I just get the annual mamogram and that is it.  But I have a question for some of you who responded:

Do you get your results right then and there?  I always have to go home and wait for a card in the mail to tell me that it was normal.  Doesn't a radiologist have to study the pictures for a long time to see if more tests need to be done, or it something looks different?

@Puppy Lips my experience is I get my mammogram and everything is normal I will get a letter in the mail in a few days. If something is alarming to them I will get a call the next day (I have very dense breasts so I have been called back 2x, I'm in my early 40s). When I go back for my follow-up mammogram or ultrasound there is a doctor in the back who reads the results while I am waiting and then they come and tell me everything is ok and I will get a report in the mail in a few days. They also send all results to my GYN.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Katesbff  Welcome to my world! I just got home from having my 25th breast sqweeze!!!!!  Teresa my tech girl told me since I'm 2 months' into medicare they do cover the 3D ultrasound breast exam, did I wish to do this or the 'regular' sqweeze. I said sure let's see my babies in 3d! maybe they'll LOOK BIGGER!!!  laugh really loud here.

I am very small but they tell me my littles ones are (still) dense. Not sure how that's possible but if they say they are....

Always continue to do your self breast exams - we are our first line of defense. Take care of those breasts, get your exam done annually faithfully. DO this for YOU always.

@PINKdogWOOD I too have very small breasts and very dense breasts. When I get my mammograms I also joke with the tech that I am making them work today to get these little babies on the glass. They always laugh and say we've seen them smaller than you.

Respected Contributor

I’ve always gotten the results on the spot. There is a very very long wait in md’s office.

I always get mammogram and sonogram, md’s policy, he is a breast surgeon.

Honored Contributor

There are various reasons for getting that call to come back for a repeat imaging but I don't think being 40 has anything to do with it.  I know sometimes, they don't get a good image when a woman has dense tissue but even that's rare.  Especially with the newer machines.  

Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

For several years in a row, I got called back for further testing and even had a mamogram one year.  It is very scary.

For the last few years, I just get the annual mamogram and that is it.  But I have a question for some of you who responded:

Do you get your results right then and there?  I always have to go home and wait for a card in the mail to tell me that it was normal.  Doesn't a radiologist have to study the pictures for a long time to see if more tests need to be done, or it something looks different?

Originally I had to wait for my results,however the time I actually had breast cancer the tech told me you will be receiving a call during the next few days. And she was righg. But since then I get the three D mammograms and I get my results right there. This is at a Breast Center. Em

Esteemed Contributor

@embgm

I'm so glad that ur breast cancer is under control. Cancer just seems so random and hits people so often. I'm convinced, it's something in the air, water and food. Since I'm older -- I don't remember hearing about cancer when I lived and worked in NYC in the 1950s/60.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian

I have a saying: Don't worry until I have something to worry about. That helps me so much!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I just had my mammo done 2 weeks ago.  I do not get my results right there with a screening mammo.  I have had to go twice for a diagnostic mammo and  in those cases I did get results immediately.

However, I generally get my results within 30 minutes through MyChart.  If nothing is wrong, my doctor will release the results to MyChart.  I know if I see an e-mail that I have test results, everything was good.

If there is a problem, I get a telephone call.

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom  Just to report back, I rcvd my results and find they are still dense, they are still tiny, they are still lump free. I'm all good and so are my girls!  Hope the same for you.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@DJs mom  Just to report back, I rcvd my results and find they are still dense, they are still tiny, they are still lump free. I'm all good and so are my girls!  Hope the same for you.

@PINKdogWOOD oh yes my results came back all good. My mammorgram was in January. I was called the next day to go back and get additional images. They were checked while I was there and I was given the green light. So me & my dense little girls are just fine also. Thanks for asking and great news that your results are good.