Respected Contributor

@Roni18

You will do fine with the endoscopy.  I had one in July and was totally out for the procedure.  He took 3 biopsies and everything came back fine.  Good luck to you. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

Thanks so much for giving me that thread to read.  It was very helpful. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with what the others said and the prep is the worse.  I've had Crohn's surgery so I'm on a 5 year recall.  I wanted to mention that my doctor said not to use vaseline or anything like it.  He told me to use a cream cause the vaseline will cause a problem I assume on the scope.  Think I used cortisone cream.  You can check with your doctor.  Also,  I did take xanax before I left the house.  Didn't need it the few days before.  Once I got there they asked me if I wanted something to relax, I was fine since they said I could take xanax at home.  It's the best sleep I get. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I am having my first colonoscopy on Monday.  Since I've had gastro issues for months and many other tests, this is the one test left to do.  I have a problem with anxiety anyway and am already a nervous wreck about this.  I've read all the instructions about the prep and what to expect, etc.  My brother has had 2 of these done and he did fine, but he doesn't have anxiety like I do.  I know there are meds you have to stop taking 5 days before the procedure, like Advil.  I called the dr's office this afternoon and asked if it's OK for me to take xanax to help with this anxiety.  The woman I talked to said she will send my question back to someone and they will call me about it.  If anyone can help ease my mind about all this I would really appreciate it.  I see there have been quite a few colonoscopy posts on this forum.  Thank you.       

@Catty2

I can't answer your question about the anxiety medicine unfortunately, but I am about like you sound.  I get so nervous and upset about all these kinds of things.  I have had manny of these and you will be fine.  I will say that the worst part is the prep --- drinking all that stuff and then having to go constantly to the bathroom!  It kind of wears you out!  But the actual procedure --- you will not even feel or remember a thing because of the medicine that they give you!  And you will feel so good knowing that you did it and then you have the peace of mind of knowing that you are fine!  Best wishes and hang in there!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Catty2

First to ease your mind...call the doctor’s office again and speak with someone more “in charge.” 

My GI has a seasoned and knowledgeable nurse who has been with him for years. (Joan)

Please tell them when you call about your anxiety and don’t sugar-coat the story you tell.

Include first one/already have meds prescribed for anxiety/nerves are just making you feel totally unnerved over the procedure. Tell them you MUST have your RX for this or you will need to cancel the procedure.

I am betting that the GI or his (in charge) nurse will say that it is fine to take it.

I did this for migraine medicine with their approval.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1

His office did call back yesterday afternoon and said it's fine to take one 2 hours before the procedure.  What I really was asking is if it's OK to take them now in the days leading up to the procedure as I'm having anxiety every day.  Thanks for your info.     

Honored Contributor

@Catty2

Sorry to be persistent...is this an RX that says on the label take so many per day?

If so, I would think it would be ok. We were talking about this today, DH and I. There might be a concern about anesthesia and amount. But if you need to take it and want to, I know some of that info is on Google.

I think if it were me, I would still call, even if you would need to speak with someone “on call.”

HTH I will bbl to check

Honored Contributor

@Catty2

https://www.berkeleyparentsnetwork.org/advice/health/colonoscopy

This article might answer your concerns.

It seems that if the Xanax is an RX (which it is for you) then your normal routine in the event of needing it is ok.

However, it is very important that you let the team know before the procedure, so they can work with this fact.

Hopefully this information helps. Please do not take my word for it though. Please arm yourself with whatever knowledge you can glean.

Let us know.❤️

Respected Contributor

@LTT1

Thank you for that information.  I don't take xanax on a regular basis so may decide not to take it on Monday.  When I had an endoscope in July I didn't take it before even though I was very stressed about that test also. 

Respected Contributor

@Catty2

You are going to do just fine.  Start the prep at the earliest time that you are allowed.  Treat with yourself with a "reward" the same day it is completed.  

For me, I rewarded myself with a fabulous breakfast/brunch with my BFF.  We drive each other to these and then have a social outing as soon as the procedure is complete.

You will be so relieved when this is over. Peace of mind knowing all is well is such a wonderful thing. The next colonoscopy will be much easier to mentally process.

You've got this!