Respected Contributor

Is there anything you'd really like to receive? I'd like a phone call or a card from my son. We're not on the best of terms right now so hearing from him would be a real treat. 

I don't know what's bothering him and I'm afraid to ask.

Honored Contributor

I know it sounds cliche, but just knowing how much they LOVE💝 and appreciate me is all I need!🥰❤ Of course hearing the  words I love you ALWAYS warms a mother's heart.💝

It is SO difficult when we are not on the best of terms with our children.😐 They have NO idea just how heavy it weighs on our hearts.❤ I HOPE and pray your son surprises you with a phone call, and makes your Mother's Day a special one for you!🤞🙏🥰 

Please do not be afraid to reach out to him if you do not hear from him, because it is quite possible he is waiting to hear from YOU for the same reason; afraid to reach out.❤

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten.  Make ammends.  I'd give anything to have my deceased son back. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten I do hope you hear from your son. If you haven't heard from him by midafternoon Sunday, call him. If he doesn't answer leave a message. Someone has to reach out first.

As for the answer to your question, I would much prefer to have my son's time than any gift. A phone call is all I want. He lives too far away to drop by to say hello. His planned vacations to come home are the perfect gifts for my husband and I.

Respected Contributor

My sincere hope is for your son to reach out to you and I know that hearing him say "I Love you Mom" would be the best Mother's Day present ever !  As a mom of 2 adult children 51 and 40 we want our "children" to be successful in life and know that we are always there for them no matter what age.

Hang in there !  He know's his mom loves him and whatever he's dealing with I pray he will put it aside and contact his mom on your special day. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten.  Make ammends.  I'd give anything to have my deceased son back. 

I am so sorry for your loss and you are absolutely right, one never knows how much time we have.  I had a silly story about camping and my mom asked if I had extra milk and my kids were little and I said I think I have just enough for their morning cereal, that haunts me!  Me and my mom had a great relationship but something small like that can haunt a person so I can't imagine letting something big go on.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine how painful that would be.

Respected Contributor

Men are not always the greatest at remembering special holidays or keeping in touch and showing emotions.

Maybe nothing is wrong with your relationship--maybe he is just overwhelmed at work and  too tired to keep in touch as much as you want. Maybe he is having money problems.

Hoping for a surprise communication may become a big disappointment. 

As the shopper in the family, I always take the lead for gift-giving, and keep track of dates and events for both sides of the family.

I do not know what you mean when you say, "We are not on the best of terms." Can you think of a specific incident or issue?  Is he married? Do you get along with his wife?  Do they have children?  

There is too much missing information, and saying 'I don't know what's bothering him," takes you out of the equation.

Just because it is Mother's Day does not mean he has to do something for you. You, as the mother, can certainly reach out and invite him (and family?) to brunch, or a movie, or some other favorite activity.

Just because you are afraid does not mean you should do nothing. Life is too short to not try to live the best life possible!

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 I can relate.  Around a year before my dad passed, he made the offhand comment that he would like to go to a movie theater and see a movie.  He and my mother never did that.  They lived in a rural area and that was something that just wasn't done.  I heard it but didn't act on it.  I have no idea why.  It has haunted me to this day.  

With my mother, I can't think of anything she requested that I didn't do except that when she was in assisted living near the end of her life, she requested that I buy her a pair of white capris.  At the time, she had mild cognitive dementia bordering on Alzheimer's and had lost control of her bladder and bowels.  She was in Depends but still had accidents as she would take them off and not put them back on or not realize that they needed to be changed.  I never bought her the white capris for obvious reasons.  I don't really regret it, but it does niggle at the back of my mind sometimes.

Honored Contributor

I don't need anything at all.  My life is good and me and DH have our health at the present time and there is nothing more important than that.  My kids will call on mother's day, we don't usually get together for specific holidays except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We do get together at random times of the year.  It's all good Smiley Happy   

@GoneButNotForgotten I do hope you can speak with your son soon.  It's easy for people to give their opinion on what you should or should not do but honestly none of us know your true situation........all I can say is do what's in your heart.