Honored Contributor

Re: Moderate Tea Drinking May Help Reduce Cardiac Risk

@feline groovy wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Noel.

Tea - especially green - is high in antioxidants, which are healthy and helpful.

I have HBP and hypercalcemia, so this is good news.

Thankfully, I've been a tea drinker and lover since I was a kid.

Don't like the taste of coffee ( I know, whaaat?! LOL) but I enjoy the smell when it's brewing.

Hi @feline groovy

I drink one cup of coffee a day at lunch.  I really look forward to it but I know quite a few people who don't like coffee Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I drink one matcha tea a day. It has 5 g of pure matcha powder and gives me energy and focus all day. That is the only kind of tea I consume. It's benefits go way back in history.

Honored Contributor

I have been a tea drinker, ( hot and cold ) my whole adult life. It make me so happy that something that I actually enjoy may be good for me. I never could developed a taste for coffee, but I love my tea.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

"too much tea gave one guy liver disease."faint.gif

"I switched to added more herbal tea."

Your comments made me do some Google research.  Lead me to the following links:

Too Much Green Tea Could Lead to Liver Damage?

Five surprising herbs that can damage your liver

I only drink lemon tea.  Sometimes I add cream or milk to it = Pearl Tea.

None of those are surprising to me. True herbal tea has no tea, not green, white, or black. (They're all from the same plant - the tea plant.) You always have to know what's going on with herbs described as medicinal and it pays to read labels. Things like Raspberry Zinger don't contain any of those herbs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My turn to recommend something, @SilleeMeeWoman Happy

'Kirkland Ito En Matcha Blend Japanese Green Tea' from Costco.

You can get it there in-person, on their website, on Amazon, and on Ebay.

It's a tasty mix of Japanese Matcha tea and Chinese Sencha tea.

I'm thinking that your enjoymment of matcha just might be inherited, huh? Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Did they define moderate tea drinking? Because without that, this is kind of meaningless.

I drink a lot of tea, iced and hot, and have added more herbal (no tea leaves) infusions into the mix because too much tea gave one guy liver disease. He drank a gallon of iced black tea every day. In the Texas summers, I was getting up there some days, so that's when I switched to added more herbal tea.

http://wgntv.com/2015/04/02/too-much-iced-tea-caused-arkansas-mans-kidney-problems/

Obviously it's not meaningless because the source is given and since the American Heart Association says the same thing, it's easy for anyone to look into for details.

I looked into more of the report for you:

"In adjusted multivariable models, participants who drank one or more cups of tea a day had a lower prevalence of coronary artery calcium scores of 100 or higher compared with people who drank no tea (relative risk 0.64). People who drank one or more cups of tea a day also had reduced progression of coronary artery calcium (RR 0.73)." 

The study seems top indicate that one cup of tea is moderate. I'd almost call that minimal over moderate.

Any reason you chose to quote the study multiple times without linking? I'm not asking to be snarky, just wondering about your reason.

Here's the link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/869038

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy wrote:

My turn to recommend something, @SilleeMeeWoman Happy

'Kirkland Ito En Matcha Blend Japanese Green Tea' from Costco.

You can get it there in-person, on their website, on Amazon, and on Ebay.

It's a tasty mix of Japanese Matcha tea and Chinese Sencha tea.

I'm thinking that your enjoymment of matcha just might be inherited, huh? Woman Wink

Arigato gozaimasu @feline groovy,Woman Happy

Gonna have to check out that Kirkland stuff! I don't shop at Costco but I think I saw it on jet dot com's site. Is the tea liquid in a can like this? 

unnamed.jpg

I think my blood is green. The other half of me is Irish...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

So  was this study done with black tea? green Tea?  Herbal tea?  

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Did they define moderate tea drinking? Because without that, this is kind of meaningless.

I drink a lot of tea, iced and hot, and have added more herbal (no tea leaves) infusions into the mix because too much tea gave one guy liver disease. He drank a gallon of iced black tea every day. In the Texas summers, I was getting up there some days, so that's when I switched to added more herbal tea.

http://wgntv.com/2015/04/02/too-much-iced-tea-caused-arkansas-mans-kidney-problems/

Obviously it's not meaningless because the source is given and since the American Heart Association says the same thing, it's easy for anyone to look into for details.

I looked into more of the report for you:

"In adjusted multivariable models, participants who drank one or more cups of tea a day had a lower prevalence of coronary artery calcium scores of 100 or higher compared with people who drank no tea (relative risk 0.64). People who drank one or more cups of tea a day also had reduced progression of coronary artery calcium (RR 0.73)." 

The study seems top indicate that one cup of tea is moderate. I'd almost call that minimal over moderate.

Any reason you chose to quote the study multiple times without linking? I'm not asking to be snarky, just wondering about your reason.

Here's the link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/869038

Yes, the site was designated for those in the medical field and we were told not to share it when I joined. 

If you found it and can get it, go for it.

Honored Contributor

Remember Wine was Good before it was Bad. And then it was Bad after it was Good. Coffee too, at one time or another, followed the same scenario. Now it's tea, is it Green Tea, or just regular ole tea? Don't drink much coffee, but ain't gonna give up my 1, maybe 2 cups per day?

I could go back through massive records I have kept for reference points(studies), pre and post heart attacks, and am sure I can find many studies that are exactly the same concept. It's bad/it's good and on and on and!

With my health background/age and knowledge of Heart Disease, I am beyond giving much credence to most studies that seem to pop up regularly. My belief is it has more to do with what a person eats/exercises, and their genetics.

Everyone believe what you will about these Good before they are Bad, before they are once again Good studies about what to drink. My heart attacks had almost everything to do with genetics and little to nothing to do with what I chose to drink.

I drink neither tea or wine, and have never drank tea, but there was a time, when Boone's Farm was my choice of booze. That was long, long ago. Quit alcohol/meat/ fish and fowl back in the mid 1970's, plan to continue this for the rest of my days.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)