Honored Contributor

Caught this on Prime, I think last night, about how people have let their bodies take over and heal themselves.  I was interested since a doctor I have doesn't do invasive surgery. I'm sure not all are healed, but the show was interesting, since one lady traveled all over the world on this subject search.  I will need to check out some books if I can find them at the library, one of these days.  

Honored Contributor

That sounds like an interesting show.  I agree that the body has a great capacity to heal itself and I stay away from doctors who are quick to recommend surgery. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes you just gotta LGLG. Then there are other times when you need science.

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone that has done distance running races over many years, can tell you the "thread title" importance to succeed.

If one has any particular goals, be it time and/or distance, specifically both! They can tell you that at many points of those challenges, your body says "QUIT", but you keep on. How/Why?

Again, read the title of this thread. No successful long distance athlete can reach their goals without knowing, your Body and your Mind, have to work in concert with each other, or you will never get to whatever goal(s) you have set for yourself.

Same with recovering from serious physical setbacks like injuries, or life threatening illnesses. I have been through many of both, and had I not been an optimist? There is absolutely no way I would have made it back to my pre-event physical fitness levels. Once again, your body says "QUIT", but your mind says "I WON'T".

Anyone that believes there is no Mind/Body Connection, in all facets of living life? 

Good luck, because your days will seem like weeks/months and years, not days! 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I have always practiced self-healing to great success. Have I had serious ailments and injuries? You bet I have, but always managed, out of sheer determination to heal myself through study of what ails me and using practical solutions, including sticking with my own physical therapy programs.

I realize I have been fortunate enough to have had no life-threatening injuries. The downside to self-healing can be it takes tremendous patience and a pretty steep tolerance of pain.

Exceptions were a serious skin cancer which jeopardized my nose and the following reconstruction. Also, I cheated by taking old antibiotics of my father and late husband when I ran high fevers. This I do not recommend, but it worked for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener 

Guess I could say "I practiced self healing" except! Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, there were few, if any studies. If you were injured via exercise or a sport, the most common thing said my those in the medical field? "If it hurts you, quit doing it", and that is not an overstatement.

My 1st injury from running, I sought out an athlete that lived in my apartment complex. He was a University of Nebraska starting football player, and I knew he had suffered knee injuries. He told me some of the things he had done under the advisement of the team medical staff and trainers. 

From that info I learned a lot, along with my own improvisation. As years moved along there was some info available, but it was not easy to find. Like you, I looked, researched, and found some unknown books that I think were not well known, and for specific reason. Just my theory now from that era of time.

One thing that I knew that worked, was to be patient while healing. Unfortunately, a few times, I didn't follow what I knew to be the right way. With each injury I learned and practiced patience. I learned the hard way to follow what I knew. Injuries at many points feel good, but you learn that those feelings do not equate to being "healed".

Through all of these injuries I also learned more about the mind/body connection. The main  thing that got me through some long term injuries, and my several life/death health issues? Optimism! The proverbial "light at the end of some very, very long tunnels".

I learned enough about my body to know when something was seriously wrong. Enough so I did not hesitate to get immediate help when I knew I was in trouble.

While I do believe in meds, I know that without several of them, my life would have likely ended years ago. For pain? No, but to sustain my way of living my type of life, not just existing.

Enjoyed reading of your experiences of what you have found works for you.  Also your last comment about "not recommended it to others".

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Caught this on Prime, I think last night, about how people have let their bodies take over and heal themselves.  I was interested since a doctor I have doesn't do invasive surgery. I'm sure not all are healed, but the show was interesting, since one lady traveled all over the world on this subject search.  I will need to check out some books if I can find them at the library, one of these days.  

This entire concept is not applicable to all disease processes. My girlfriend decided with good thoughts and alternative medicine her breast cancer would be healed. She died at the age of 32.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

This entire concept is not applicable to all disease processes. My girlfriend decided with good thoughts and alternative medicine her breast cancer would be healed. She died at the age of 32.

I'm sorry about your friend's outcome but you can't lump all alternative med together. I know of people that have used alt med and have lived. I also know people that used western med for their cancer and it killed them.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm sorry about your friend's outcome but you can't lump all alternative med together. I know of people that have used alt med and have lived. I also know people that used western med for their cancer and it killed them.

I did not lump all alternative medicine together. Rather I was expressing the thought that the body mind connection only works in certain non life threatening connections. I saw many people in my lifetime with very good mental health status as they fought their illness and they still died. What I am opposed to is the idea that if someone doesn't get well, some will say that they didn't try hard enough. Almost as if the mind body connection can heal someone and personally, I think that is only true up to an extent @ThinkingOutLoud .

As far as using conventional medicine for cancer. Well, none of us are going to live forever but I still think that conventional medicine has a far better success rate in cancer than alternative medicine. Remember laetrile from the 70's. Thousands upon thousands believed it worked and died needlessly before their time.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud 

What precise meds are encompassed by the words "alt med"? I understand conventional medicine, and the science of many. However, when I see "alt med" talked about, I have seldom seen or heard specifics.

Say Cancer/CAD/COPD/CHF, I know the specifics of those major diseases. Of those, 3 them I know intimately. What alt meds could/would I have chosen over the ones that have kept me alive, 2 of which were emergencies?

I completely understand the oft used everyone is different. To me that is a phrase, in my opinion, too often used to avoid a more specific answer to questions that are asked.

Are we talking chronic illnesses/emergency treatments to save lives, or even serious/non serious physical injuries?  Is there an alt med to repair an ACL injury, or that of any other joint injury? 

In my many, many weeks as an in-patient in 3 different hospitals, I have talked with many other in-patients. A few believed more in things other than conventional meds or treatments, yet there they were being treated by the conventional. They talked, but obviously did not follow their beliefs when it came to their choices. 

What I heard more often than anything when discussing/debating the merits of this versus that: "everyone is different". That usually ended our discussions. Not real and specific answers, but that same phrase was pretty much always used.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)