Trusted Contributor

Metforman question

[ Edited ]

I was just prescribed Metformin because my AC1 is 7.1 and should be under 7. I am new to this drug and wonder if any of you have experience with this drug.  Will I ever get off of this drug? or will I be on it forever....or if I were to lose weight, would that help to keep me off Metformin?  I didn't have an opportunity to talk it over with my internist --I was just told over the phone that it was being prescribed for me today.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I should have given up soda and candy a long time ago, but was always just on the border and didn't worry about it. Now it is real.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee I have been taking Metformin for about 10 years now and it seems to keep my AIC level consistent and managed throughout this time.  Just recently however, I have had some stomach distress and gastro problems which I attribute to Metformin.  I have over the past two weeks changed from taking Metformin in the AM to avoid the gastro problems and am taking it in the PM.  Working ok so far.  I have appt with my PCP at the end of May and will discuss with him.  Of course, all physicians tell us to lose weight and I have some friends who have dieted and have reduced their AIC levels.  Don't fret, but be sure to have a sit down with your physician to discuss all options.

Frequent Contributor

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in 2008.   Was put on met Metforman.  I followed the diabetic diet and lost 50#.   Was on the drug for 8 months.  I was able to discontinue the drug at that time.  I have been able to keep my A1c level in the high 5's through diet and exercise.  

Lose weight,  if necessary and exercise 5 days a week.  I joined a senior class in my town, low impact for 45 minutes, 5 days a week.  I'm happy with my results and so is my doctor.  

Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Metforman question

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee, personally, since your A1c is not scary high, I would try cutting out as much obvious sugar from your diet as you can handle and test again in three months.  That's a change you'd have to stick with though.

You might buy a cheap glucose meter and strips  from Walmart, Relion ? brand, so you can see what eating oatmeal or a banana does to your results 1-2 hours after eating 🤷‍♀️

My GI system never got used to the metformin.  

Esteemed Contributor

metformin made me very very tired,,,,,,,,had to stop taking it.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Metforman question

[ Edited ]

There's a good chance that loosing weight will help bring your A1C down to normal or low enough to where you may control it with diet.

I highly recommend this book:

517E3GIWAML._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Respected Contributor

I've taken it quite a few years.  I don't think it's a drug to fear since it's been around a long time.  Between the met and loss of 25 lbs, my A1C stays around 5.8.  I lost the weight by cutting carbs, not drastically, but to about 30 per meal and 15 per snack.

Bailey, I know you must feel in shock.  Be prepared for trips to the market because when you look at the nutrition panel on the packaging, you will see some foods are shockingly high carb. 

The doctor should have given you a meter or prescribed one for you.  See it as an education tool so you can find out what pushes your blood sugar too high.  The doctor should have also given you some guidelines of where your sugar should be 2 hours after a meal, in the mornings.  If you aren't getting this guidance, seek it through your local hospital or a diabetes educator. 

You can do this.  Your blood sugar wasn't frighteningly high, so see it as a "heads up" to educate yourself and protect your health.  The side effects of uncontrolled blood sugar are many, including affecting your vision, heart attack, stroke....you name it.    

Respected Contributor

I've been taking it for years too - plus Trulicity for 4 years.

Be sure to take Metformin with a meal - very important.

Like someone else said - it's not just sugar you need to watch - it's carbs.  And actually it's important to balance carbs and protein at every meal or snack.

A little weight loss and exercise - just walking - will also help a lot.

If your health insurance covers it consider taking a class at your local hospital on how to manage your diabetes, count carbs, etc.  - very helpful.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've taken Metformin for approximately 20 years.  It was extremely hard for me to get used to it as I had gastro issues from it and understand that's more normal than not  But it eventually passed well enough.  I went from an A1C of 12 to 6.3 in 3 months time.  I also lost around 40lbs in about 6 months.  I stopped sugar and reduced carb intake, eliminating pasta almost completely (I know Woman Sad)..... but I reduced my numbers greatly and could even reduce how much Metformin I take.  

There is a lot written regarding Metformin (not the long-acting version) and some very good things have been written about the good this drug can do, as well as things that it can do that's not so good, all should have been discussed with you prior to prescribing it.

I am happy with this drug and will continue to take it as long as it works for me. 

Also be careful of items that say "No sugar added"... which doesn't mean "sugar free", it usually still has a substantial amount of sugar in it and a load of carbs....      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I've been taking Metformin twice a day with meals for about 20 years.   It's a tried and true medication that's been around for a long, looong time.   But I'm still surprised Metformin was prescribed 'over the phone' without some discussion with you about how to take it, possible side effects, diet changes, etc.  There's a lot more to taking Metformin than just swallowing a pill.

You might check with your doctor about meeting with a dietician or attending diabetes "classes."  

I will probably take Metformin for the rest of my life - and I don't mind because it works! and I don't have any side effects.   When I first started taking Metformin, I had some stomach distress for about 2 weeks, but that went away.  I was a diet-controlled diabetic for several years before I started taking Metformin -- it sure is easier to keep my blood sugar level with Metformin. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt