Honored Contributor

There are sooooo many posters here who do not seem to be capable of grasping the concept of moderation in anything. They think everything is black or white and grey simply does not exist. Sun exposure IN MODERATION is not only OK it is necessary to good health. 

Respected Contributor

There are of course guideines for safe sun and a few lines of clothing with bulit in SPF

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/melanoma/melanoma-prevention-guidelines

http://www.sunprecautions.com/

Respected Contributor

I agree, moderation is the key to just about everything! 

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

@Lila Belle

@Lila Belle wrote:

My cousin went the tanning bed route starting  when she was 18 and at 36 she has had around 7 melanomas removed. She has 3 children under the age of 6 and my heart aches for her. She's waiting to hear if her latest biopsy is positive for cancer.

I'm a fanatic about suncreen for my kids and my husband and me.

I am so sorry to hear this, tanning beds are so much worse than the sun. I will say a prayer and keep a happy heart for your cousin for her test to be negative. Heart

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

@That touched my heart @happygolfcartrider. Thank you so very muchHeart

Trusted Contributor

I've always known melanoma was a serious skin disease.  But, until recently, just didn't realize how virulent it really is.  I have a very dear friend you had a stage 1 melanoma removed from her arm 6 years ago.  She was told she was cured.  No spread to any lymph nodes.  All done!!!

A month or so ago, she discovered a lump IN her arm.  It had returned and had spread to her lungs.  She will start immunotherapy if it hasn't already spread to her brain.  They will not remove the lump.  Removing it will disturb it and could cause those cells to spread through her blood stream to other sites in her body.

I've read similar stories online, even on these forums.  Those cancer cells spread like wildfire and can show up years later at various other sites in your body.  

I'm considered high risk for melanoma because of family history and because I had one atypical mole.  And I've never been a sunbather.  Melanoma scares the he!! out of me.  I stay out of the sun!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I say a prayer every night for ALL with cancer. I pray that a cure is on the horizon for those in my family with it and for all that have had it or know someone that has it.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

Where to start: one of our posters has been undergoing bi-monthly chemo for grade IV melanoma that was found after having a swollen lymph node under her arm WHILE having her year mammogram.  From there, she was found to have a mole on the middle of her back which was melanoma.  She had metastasis to her lungs which according to her last PET scan showed significant shrinkage.  She has been undergoing chemo for a year now.

Next ~ I personally know two females who WERE in their early 30's. One was an Irish "colleen" with red hair and freckles.  She had melanoma on her right leg and was dead in just over a year.  The next gal was a nurse in the hospital I worked in.  She was dead in months.

Now...I understand that doctors recommend natural sunshine for vitamin D.  As a person who lives part time in a warm/sunny climate, I sit on our patio which is covered.  WHY would anyone tempt fate?

JMO.  I hear of more and more people being diagnosed with melanoma and it makes me wonder.

Honored Contributor

Re: Melanoma and suntanning

[ Edited ]

What do you think about a person that says they have had melanoma, laying in the sun, even if they have sun block on? 

None of my business. I don't think a thing about it. 

But, since I do not sunbathe, it is unlikely I would run across someone laying in the sun...  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Melanoma and suntanning

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but it's absolutely untrue that sun exposure in moderation is "necessary for good health."  My fair skinned, blue eyed mother died from melanoma.  It was treated vigorously and then returned 10 years later, and after two miserable years fighting it she passed away. I'm fair skinned with green eyes and have had a number of skin cancers and pre-cancers removed.  Two of these were on my scalp and required staples to close - very painful!  I wear sunscreen 365 days a year, and a hat if I'm going to be in the sun for any amount of time, such as gardening. I also take Vitamin D3 capsules every day, and my blood tests show that my Vitamin D levels are just where they should be.  My primary care doctor and my dermatologist agree that ANY sun exposure in my case is not a good idea.  Sunshine is great for some folks, but it's irresponsible to suggest that everyone NEEDS it to be healthy. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle

@Lila Belle wrote:

My cousin went the tanning bed route starting  when she was 18 and at 36 she has had around 7 melanomas removed. She has 3 children under the age of 6 and my heart aches for her. She's waiting to hear if her latest biopsy is positive for cancer.

I'm a fanatic about suncreen for my kids and my husband and me.

I am so sorry to hear this, tanning beds are so much worse than the sun. I will say a prayer and keep a happy heart for your cousin for her test to be negative. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

News wasn't good. Surgery is scheduled for Friday with removal of lymph nodes.