Esteemed Contributor

Re: Melanoma and suntanning

[ Edited ]

There are two distinct threads in this thread, one about suntanning after a diagnosis of melanoma and one about a host shading the truth. I will address the first.

I have had three diagnoses of melanoma in my lifetime, all caught early before they had a chance to metasticize, fortunately. I have a full body exam by my derm every six months. I don't sunbathe, haven't since high school. I do play golf and wear skorts, and I'm not giving it up. Self tanner and sunscreen are de rigueur for me.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack   I started this thread  because of a host that was deceptive about a subject so important to so many people. I am glad you found your melanoma early and have scans on a regular basis. I am very diligent on my checkups for everything.

Cancer is not a subject to be deceptive about.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

The melanoma form of skin cancer is the deadliest. I have a friend who NEVER is in the sun has struggled with this deadly form for 8 years. It has spred to their lungs 3 times and is in their 4 session of radiation after having partial lung removed. 

This cancer was called to the attention of the doctor in a place where there is no chance of sun. 

I also know three people who have had/have Melanoma.  All three had the mole in places that never saw the sun and they never sunbathed.  I personally feel it has a lot more to do with than only the sun exposure.

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls It is a very serious form of cancer and yes there are people that never go in the sun that get it.  I am so lucky I have been what is called a sun worshiper most of my life, never used sunscreen until I turned 50 (I am in my 60's now) We were not as aware of the damage the sun can do back then. Granted I do feel better when I am in the sunshine but I use sunscreen and am not out there for hours now.

I am so glad we are more educated today about all forms of cancer and having regular checkups.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

I think it is the toxins in the sunblock causing the problems. Our skin is the largest organ in the body, and it aborbs everything. There is so much money in this industry, so good luck finding research to back my suspicions. Re: already having melanoma, it would be best to avoid the sun, or go out for brief periods at a time.

Honored Contributor

20 minutes a day of unprotected sun is recommended by most derm docs, as very safe and very good source of Vit D, I would just keep my face covered or protected.

Honored Contributor

I am a fair skinned redhead, and avoid being in the sun as much as possible.   I have NEVER found a sunscreen that has protected me from a sunburn.   My blue eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight, so I just don't do any type of outdoor activity.   

Since I retired, I have had 4 suspicious places biopsied, and had a full body check.   I was told that any new spot that appears on your skin after the age of 50, needs to be checked, and all of my spots were new.   My first 3 biopsies came back fine; my last biopsy came back as one stage away from pre-cancer.  The red spot was on my hand and looked like a burn from a grease splatter.   However, I knew it was not a burn.   The spot was on my hand for only 2 weeks before my visit to the dermatologist.   Based on the biopsy results, I had cryosurgery on my spot, and have just gotten this nasty burn healed.   This spot will be watched closely, since it could be an aggressive form of skin cancer, and if it returns, I will need to have the MOHS procedure.   

I personally would not be in full sun if I'd had a melanoma removed from anywhere on my body.

Respected Contributor

I would find it hard to believe any dermatologist would tell a melanoma survivor this was prudent or advisable behaviour.   I have gone to many different over the years and they all say cover up and wear sunscreen.  This person is playing with fire.

Melanoma survivor since 1991

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, gardenman, I vehemently disagree with you.  Melanoma is now the fastest growing cancer KILLER of people in their 20's.  I lost a former patient at the age of 25 just last year after he presented with seizures and subsequently was found to have advanced stage melanoma that spread to his brain.  Melanomas are by their nature extremely aggressive.  For those who are lucky enough to have it caught it early they are still often left with disfiguring scars from removal of the cancer.  These are not small scars that we typically see with regular mole removal.

I cannot phathom why anyone with a history of melanoma would purposely lay in the sun.   The risk for subsequent lesions is extremely high.  And don't get me started on tanning beds. 

Please have your skin examined yearly by a board-certified dermatologist. This tragedy is so very preventable. Wear your sun block and avoid tanning beds. Period. End of story.

Honored Contributor

I was from the baby oil and iodine generation.  To date I've had well over 15 basal cell carcinomas and 5 squamous cell carcinomas.  I live at the Jersey shore.  Sunscreen is part of my daily regiment, even in the winter.

I've had a number of dermatologists and none has ever recommended spending time in the sun without protection.