Super Contributor
John, I take as many as you do. There are so many health problems in my family. I'm envious of people who don't need to take any meds. ??
Respected Contributor

There are many people, at all ages, who are not taking any prescription meds. We have a dear friend who is 91 years old and he doesn't take any prescription medications. He has none of the chronic illnesses that we associate with aging. My husband is 54, healthy as horse, he takes no meds. However, almost every other person I know who is in their mid 50's and older takes something. Usually a blood pressure medication or medicine for gastric reflux. A lot of women I know take thyroid medication. Being on any type of medication isn't a bad thing and there's nothing to be proud of if you aren't on it. Just be thankful because prescriptions and copays are expensive. I'm grateful for my meds because 50 or 60 years ago, the conditions that I take meds for would have led to a stroke or a heart attack and very early death.

Honored Contributor
I look at this situation in a slightly different way. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes in his mid 40's. A year later he survived a big heart attack known as the widow maker. He has 30% damage to his heart muscle, which is permanent. He takes 10 oral meds daily besides 4 injections of insulin; some of his meds are for his actual health issues, and some of his meds are taken as preventative measures to his risk factors. For instance, he takes a low dose blood pressure medication daily, as the doctor does not want him to ever develop high blood pressure. My husbands medical records prior to, during, and after the heart attack, do not show even one recording of a high blood pressure----however he will take this medication for the rest of his life. Both of my prescription medications are for preventative measures, due to family history and other risk factors. My mother was in her mid 70's when her doctor prescribed low dose blood pressure medication due to a TIA, and family history. I feel it is very important to know your family history and risk factors, particularly if you are over 50, and take whatever action is necessary to protect your health.
Honored Contributor
"castlenv", l can tell what "could" happen if I quit taking each one of my prescription medications. All of them are taken for specific health issues, some of them because of a diagnosed problem(s), some of them for preventative purposes. Now I quit taking 1 daily medication by my choice, which pretty much left me making the decision on which current and/or past health event, I choose to possibly die. Do I want to risk surviving another episode of PE, from which a small minority survive, or do I want to live a life with twice monthly blood transfusions for my remaining years? These remaining years would also leave me Anemic in between transfusions. How many would like to be faced with making that choice? I made it in 2011 and so far so good. You posed a question so I thought I would provide you with the "why" of my many prescriptions so hopefully this helps you understand why some are doing so. Have a good one. =^.^.=
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
On 3/12/2015 hckynut said: "castlenv", l can tell what "could" happen if I quit taking each one of my prescription medications. All of them are taken for specific health issues, some of them because of a diagnosed problem(s), some of them for preventative purposes. Now I quit taking 1 daily medication by my choice, which pretty much left me making the decision on which current and/or past health event, I choose to possibly die. Do I want to risk surviving another episode of PE, from which a small minority survive, or do I want to live a life with twice monthly blood transfusions for my remaining years? These remaining years would also leave me Anemic in between transfusions. How many would like to be faced with making that choice? I made it in 2011 and so far so good. You posed a question so I thought I would provide you with the "why" of my many prescriptions so hopefully this helps you understand why some are doing so. Have a good one. =^.^.=

Hckynut, you have some dreadful illnesses. You don't have to apologize for the meds you take.

I'm a physical wreck, but it's just pain and won't kill me for a while. Big difference.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor
I wish I did not have to take medication,one if I didn't I would be dead, some diseases are chronic and the meds let me live a fairly normal life. I am trying to get one medication, that cost over 40,000 dollars(thank God for insurance),out but I still have to substitute it for another drug. Trying to change over is hard physically,and the side effects are the same. Why do it ? I am of the age that I want my hubby not to be so strap down that when he retires our money will not just be for my meds and extra insurance, that we will take out. I want my hubby and me to enjoy retirement. Do any of you understand my thinking?
Esteemed Contributor

None for me. Lost weight. Off of all of it.

Contributor

Only take blood pressure meds. I am 66 years old.

Super Contributor

I've been blessed with good health. I do NOT take any meds--OTC or prescription. I do take a probiotic once/day. I can't remember when I last took a pain med or any other med. My Part D drug plan company is making money off of me. BTW I'm 69 years old.

DH, on the other hand, takes several meds that keep him in very good health. He's still working full-time in our small family business.

Honored Contributor

I have one script for Hypothyroidism. I also have a bottle of muscle relaxers to take when I need one. I could probably use them more often I just don't take it unless I absolutely need one. DH does not take anything. I just turned 57 & he just turned 59. We do take several Andrew Lessman Supplements.