Frequent Contributor
Just curious...is there anyone not taking any medications? it almost seems like the norm to be taking some kind of medication.
Esteemed Contributor

Do you take any?

My DH and I do not. He's 65; I'm 61. We take vitamins and other supplements. I eat healthy; he eats healthy occasionally. I walk most every day; he gets exercise at work, going from building to building.

Respected Contributor
Harpa, congrats!
Frequent Contributor
No I don't take any, I'm 46, and I never had aside penacillan when needed and even that is very rare. My grandfather never took any either and he lived to 88. It just struck me, when I went to the dentist, they asked what medication I was taking, they just assumed I was. They were stunned and asked 'really, nothing?' It got me thinking...most people I know are on some sort of medication...
Respected Contributor

I just finished taking 5 years of a strong cancer medication. I am now not taking any medications. I feel like my body is going back to normal.

Valued Contributor

I am 58 and so far so good, no medications. I do watch what I eat and excercise regularly and come from a healthy gene pool.

Super Contributor

Well, yes, a lot of people are. In earlier generations they would have died at a young age; now days medications (such as for heart conditions, diabetes, etc.) enable people to live longer, healthier lives. Also, we live in a much more pressured and polluted environment that people did 100 years ago.

Honored Contributor
I take 10 prescriptions daily and I have a monthly injection of vitamin B 12. Is that the norm? I would suggest to you, the OP, this would depend on how many serious health issues a person has had, and I just happen to be a person that has had many.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

DH is 69 and I just turned 65 and enrolled in Medicare. We take no prescription medications and whenever we have to fill out a form or get asked about it, people are surprised that we don't. We do take a multi vitamin and a couple of other vitamins but that's it. We both thank God that so far we have no major medical problems that require meds.

I sometimes wonder about those who take so many meds. What would happen if they gradually stopped or reduced the amount of them?

Honored Contributor

I take three. If I took all of what has been prescribed for me by doctors, I would be on at least twenty. I refuse to take them. No pain meds, no statins, no bisphosphonates, no biologics, etc., all of which not only have hideous side effects, but also can cause an increase in the very conditions they are supposed to treat, with sometimes fatal consequences. I am going to try to die as naturally as I can, thank you.

Some of the problems I have now can be traced back to meds I took from prescriptions by doctors in the past.

Of the three I take, two have caused some of my chronic problems, but I can't wean off them, as the side effects are too painful. So I have to live with that. I often wish I could sit here for just one hour and not be aware of my body. OMG, what heaven that would be!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986