Super Contributor

Medicare Part B double payment!

I received a letter today from Medicare stating that we will owe double the Medicare payment due to our income!  Surprised the heck out of me!  Is anyone else  paying more ?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Medicare Part B double payment!

Yes. They did not make that clear to me, either, at the beginning. That is standard.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was told when I retired Medicare Part B premium deduction was based on income. 

Trusted Contributor

@Flika13

The year I retired ( 2013 in the summer) I also received a bonus.  Medicare Part B that year and the next ( when I filed taxes for my retirement year ) was the price I expected.  However, in 2015, based on my 2014 tax return for my retirement year, I paid double for both Medicare Part B and my script plan premium.  I was happy to have that year end.  LOL. 

Honored Contributor

The medicare payment is income based. If you are paying more it's because your income is more.That is a good thing.

Honored Contributor

Your current Medicare Part B premiums are based on the previous year’s income.  If your income goes down in the future, the next year’s premium will adjust downward accordingly.  Likewise if it goes up.

Super Contributor

Thank you everyone for your comments. My husband is still working so we have insurance through his employer.

I will be 65 in a few months. I guess it’s time to start reading about Medicare.

Honored Contributor

If you have company insurance, you don't need Part B

Super Contributor

Is there a way to get out of Part B? I recently got notification that they would be taking more than 10% of my monthly payment, that's pretty significant for me. I really don't need Part B. It sounded like there wasn't an option.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
DA29A2C0-301D-4849-96D9-21FBC56E9451.jpeg
@Flika13 wrote:

I received a letter today from Medicare stating that we will owe double the Medicare payment due to our income!  Surprised the heck out of me!  Is anyone else  paying more ?

It’s not a double payment, it’s a higher premium. A double payment would be paying the same amount twice. That’s not what they are billing you. You pay one of several premium levels, depending on income. I pasted in  the premium chart for 2018,  found on Medicare.gov.