Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps there are some people who should educate themselves about a “pandemic.”  No, it’s not like the flu.  No,

it is not made up.  It is a vicious and very infectious illness.

It can make you quite ill, you may have to be hospitalized, with a large tube inserted down your throat into your lungs.  And many when it gets this far don‘t survive.  Not very pretty, right?

I have written so often that my daughter caught this virus, but was lucky enough to recover at home.  She is very careful, a research scientist test who has always lived very safely.

On the other hand, my DH’s nephew has been treating virus victims at a hospital right outside a large urban area. It has been very physically and emotionally taxing.  As it is for all caring for these desperately sick people.

We wear our masks when we are around others and keep physical distance.  We don’t want to get sick, nor do we want to sicken anyone else.  We also wash our hands frequently.

If people observe safety measures, we stand the best chance of learning to live with this threat until a vaccine is developed.

The more that people ignore common sense, the stronger the likelihood we’ll be back at square one.

Respected Contributor

More than 50 countries require people to cover their faces when they leave home.

The mask I wear is to protect you, not me. But some folks are unwilling to have their "freedom" infringed upon?  Really?
Honored Contributor

I'm one of those people who has legitimate trouble breathing in a mask. There are reasons I won't go in to. I do force myself to wear one when I feel I must, even if just for short periods of time while I move away from others. While I'm more than willing to try different kinds of masks and have tried several, the results aren't markedly different. I'd also note there is no central repository of masks. It isn't like when picking out new glasses where all the frames are there to try on at will. Moreover, masks aren't always cheap and many of them right now are being sold in quantity, so mask experimentation isn't as simple as it might seem.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is controversial

Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Perhaps there are some people who should educate themselves about a “pandemic.”  No, it’s not like the flu.  No,

it is not made up.  It is a vicious and very infectious illness.

It can make you quite ill, you may have to be hospitalized, with a large tube inserted down your throat into your lungs.  And many when it gets this far don‘t survive.  Not very pretty, right?

I have written so often that my daughter caught this virus, but was lucky enough to recover at home.  She is very careful, a research scientist test who has always lived very safely.

On the other hand, my DH’s nephew has been treating virus victims at a hospital right outside a large urban area. It has been very physically and emotionally taxing.  As it is for all caring for these desperately sick people.

We wear our masks when we are around others and keep physical distance.  We don’t want to get sick, nor do we want to sicken anyone else.  We also wash our hands frequently.

If people observe safety measures, we stand the best chance of learning to live with this threat until a vaccine is developed.

The more that people ignore common sense, the stronger the likelihood we’ll be back at square one.

THANK YOU AND YOUR FAMILY for battling this virus!  I am surprise, particularly 

on this Memorial Day, that there haven't been any threads thanking the selfless healthcare workers.  So I'm doing that here for you.  And thank you for your firm but very relevant comment above about the importance of not "normalizing" this virus; so many are trying to do that.  You can lead a horse to water......Good luck to your nephew, and thank him for me.

Honored Contributor

@BadWolf wrote:

Can we post links?  I have just seen the best video regarding masks and would like to post a link for those interested.

ETA;  Just google - Health Expert Breaks Down Face Mask Misconceptions Amid Coronavirus

@BadWolf Wow I just saw the video.  Basically this Dr is saying that masks really don't block out the virus because the particles are so small.

Esteemed Contributor

@Amelia98, You are welcome.  The doctor is actually my husband’s nephew, and we are very proud of him.  He is a good husband and father, as well.  My daughter is now scheduled to donate her plasma in early June.

Our little state of Connecticut has lost 3,700 souls as of this date.  I would say the vast majority of people here wear masks and observe distance rules.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mandatory masks!

[ Edited ]

if you want to stop the spread, you should wear a mask.

The following is from the ihme website:

Given that cloth masks or face coverings have been shown to reduce transmission risk, these preliminary findings highlight the role of broader mask use as more states ease stay-at-home orders and other types of social distancing policies. Cloth masks or face coverings cannot fully prevent viral transmission, and their use should go hand-in-hand with other important actions to avoid close contact with others, especially while most places are still scaling up robust containment measures. Nonetheless, using masks when in public appears to be another important tool in curbing COVID-19’s toll.

Key findings from today’s release (May 18, 2020)
A focus on the United States
• Based on the latest available data, COVID-19 could lead to an estimated 143,357 (estimate range of 115,378 to 207,364) cumulative deaths in the US by August.

Honored Contributor

Not mandatory in my state and more without a mask than with one when out and about in stores ect....  I did wear one once to the hairdresser two weeks ago.  Some local independent shops do require it but I have just not gone into those shops.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with being free.

We wear "shoes and shirt" in stores or "no service." We comply with other laws. We have safety features in many things from cars to strollers to buildings. Why should masks all of a sudden be singled out as the exception in the name of "freedom"?

How difficult is it to be respectful and wear a mask for your 45 minute trek through a grocery store when health care workers wear them for hours at a time? 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.