Honored Contributor

I was just watching a local law show and tonight's topic had to do with elder law.  One of the lawyers just mentioned that our state's Dept. of Public Health refuses to release Covid-19 numbers specific to nursing homes.  They said that the numbers the press is able to get is what is being reported to Medicare/Medicaid, but not by the Dept of Public Health.  I found that interesting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nursing Home Covid Numbers

We have gotten specific numbers where I live, even specific to nursing homes themselves. . . don't know how the numbers are released.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget the prison numbers...even for those who are awaiting trial.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was just watching a local law show and tonight's topic had to do with elder law.  One of the lawyers just mentioned that our state's Dept. of Public Health refuses to release Covid-19 numbers specific to nursing homes.  They said that the numbers the press is able to get is what is being reported to Medicare/Medicaid, but not by the Dept of Public Health.  I found that interesting.

I find it alarming.  What are they covering up?

Honored Contributor

Not releasing numbers is ridiculous. We already know nursing homes aren’t healthy places to be even in good times and now, how could we be surprised by any numbers?

Respected Contributor

The nursing home in my small city was hit very hard...112 beds in the facility...68 confirmed cases and almost 30 deaths.  A large number of staff members also got the virus.

They were proactive very early on....but once it got in there, it just ran rampant.  Very heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

In the US, nursing home deaths account for about 40% of the total deaths. The worldwide average is somewhere over 40% with the deaths in nursing homes in Canada reportedly closer to 80% of their total deaths. Nursing home residents are by far the most vulnerable to Covid-19. Nearly every expert agrees nursing home residents need to be handled more carefully.

Overall, Covid-19 is looking like less of a threat with a reported 80% of those testing positive showing few if any symptoms and 95% of those testing positive showing at most moderate flu-like symptoms. It seems to strike about 5% hardest and those are the ones who end up in hospitals or dying. Now 5% of 330 million Americans is a lot of people (around 16.5 million if my math is right) so it's still a big problem, but for the other 95% it's more of a nuisance.

And it's important to bear in mind that there are probably a lot more people who have had it without symptoms, or minimal symptoms, than is likely being reported which could change the math in a dramatic fashion. That 5% number of people hit hardest could drop to less than one percent pretty easily. Some international studies put the death rate at 0.1% which is comparable to a very bad flu season. In the US, 0.1% of 330 million people would be 330,000 people which seems to be about where we're heading if everyone gets exposed.

One of the numbers the CDC isn't releasing is the antibody test results. The daily updated test results are typically the PCR tests which look for active virus, but not a past infection. I suspect the antibody test results show a much higher rate of past infection and thus a lower rate of people with moderate to severe symptoms.

About a month to six weeks ago a preliminary antibody screening in LA and NYC showed as many as 20%-25% had already been exposed to the virus and developed antibodies. By now that number could be 30%-40% which if applied to our current number of dead and extrapolated would bring the potential death toll up to the 0.1% or 330,000 that's being reported internationally if everyone was infected. The good news is that means that 99.9% of us survive this just fine.

There are lots of numbers and studies out there these days. Sorting through them all can be challenging. Things don't look nearly as bad as the original projections of 2.2 million dead. Our upper tier number right now seems to be the 330,000 or one tenth of one percent of the population if everyone gets exposed and infected. Typically viruses like this don't infect everyone, so we're likely looking at an even lower number than that. I wouldn't be shocked to see deaths stop around the 120,000-150,000 mark. And bear in mind we lost over 80,000 Americans in the 2017-2018 flu season despite there being flu vaccine and effective flu treatments. We have neither a vaccine nor effective treatment for Covid-19. If we didn't have the flu vaccine or effective treatments in the 2017-2018 flu season, we'd likely have seen a similar death toll. This truly isn't the end of the world.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Last week Ohio was reporting 71% of the deaths in the state were from nursing/assisted living facilities.  Ohio was one of the first states to lock down these places (most still are).

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Oregon does the name, cases and deaths.  We have separate number for healthcare.  

We also can see large breakouts by site, such church or employment.  We get a count of admitted patients by hospital too.

They publish recovered too.

Honored Contributor

My understanding is that the issue is private nursing homes vs state run.

In my state we are getting the state run numbers but that does not including private nursing homes, private in home nursing home care.  I don't know if this is done in every state, but people literally take people into their homes and care for them for less fees than a state or private home.

A woman I used to go to water aerobics with is in a private home like this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN