Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

when I was having mammos--- that happened to me nearly every time---had stupid boobs of steel I guess- Woman Frustrated-but found cancer in 2012  and had the bad one removed then --decided to have the "good" one taken off too, in 2016-- which ended the need for mammograms!! am happily flat chested now!! and cured of cancer!!!

I am so tempted to do that too. I had one breast removed 5 years ago and an implant put in. Well, the implant no way matches my real breast. And I was fitted with a breast form. In this heat I have no interest in wearing the form. 

So I am lopsided and I doubt most people are checking me out. I just feel weird. So if both sides were the same it would be alot easier to make them look even.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl @drizzellla  God bless you both.  I am a breast cancer survivor also and am blessed to still be in one piece so to speak.  I can even get by without my breast form most days.  Here's to future good health sisters Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Marciirene It's not unusual at all, happens quite often in my experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes indeed, used to worry but now I am used to it.

Honored Contributor

I just went this past April for my first one since 2011.  I went every year for so long then just stopped.  Once they had to take a second picture of one breast and that led an ultra sound for a better view.  All was fine.  They wanted a second picture on the very same breast as the last time due to the last comparison was from 2011.  I did not do it.  It would be the same as the above since my breast are so dense.  I will go back next April then they can compare that breast.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It's not at all uncommon, it happened to me a couple of times. Sometimes they just want a clearer look.  Last year, a few days after my mammogram, I got the call to come back for a repeat mammogram and possibly a biopsy.  I only told my dear friend who is a physician.  She said I shouldn't worry but how could I not worry.  The did the repeat mammogram and an ultrasound and found a tiny little cyst. .The type that is always benign.  The radiologist said they'll watch it during my yearly mammograms but it's too small too remove.

Honored Contributor

Like several posters, I have dense breasts and within the past few years had one picture retake.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla ---let me tell you--having no breasts can be challenging as far as finding tops/blouses/dresses to wear---consider that--I am now shaped more like a man so anything with darts or seams does not work for me. I am not ashamed of being flat but I try to camoflauge the fact with a print of some sort or wear a shirt over a tee shirt. Also most necklines go way down and expose my chest more than I want, as remember, your breasts in a bra fill in that extra gap.and another thing---your stomach will be more visible too , like a guy with a paunch----

I decided to have the "normal" breast removed 4 years after I had the 1st mastectomy--and just having one, lone breast was uncomfortable and looked awful, plus....still had to go get a mammo--which after having cancer, freaked me out ---again!!! I had one faux "girl" that I wore to even me out and that was fine,  but after the 2nd surgery, got the full set of fauxs and it was so heavy and would not stay in place---I ditched the faux girls and am going "commando" Woman Wink now. Have been wondering about getting just a form not made of silicone--On the Amoena website they have such things---and the prices are much easier on the wallet. I think with getting 2 prosthesis and the bra, it was close to $400 and my insurance did cover it. 

Just a FYI-----

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@drizzellla ---let me tell you--having no breasts can be challenging as far as finding tops/blouses/dresses to wear---consider that--I am now shaped more like a man so anything with darts or seams does not work for me. I am not ashamed of being flat but I try to camoflauge the fact with a print of some sort or wear a shirt over a tee shirt. Also most necklines go way down and expose my chest more than I want, as remember, your breasts in a bra fill in that extra gap.and another thing---your stomach will be more visible too , like a guy with a paunch----

I decided to have the "normal" breast removed 4 years after I had the 1st mastectomy--and just having one, lone breast was uncomfortable and looked awful, plus....still had to go get a mammo--which after having cancer, freaked me out ---again!!! I had one faux "girl" that I wore to even me out and that was fine,  but after the 2nd surgery, got the full set of fauxs and it was so heavy and would not stay in place---I ditched the faux girls and am going "commando" Woman Wink now. Have been wondering about getting just a form not made of silicone--On the Amoena website they have such things---and the prices are much easier on the wallet. I think with getting 2 prosthesis and the bra, it was close to $400 and my insurance did cover it. 

Just a FYI-----

@wagirl 

Yes, my insurance company covered everything. All my forms, bras, and compression hands and arms. I am now on Medicare and have no idea what they will cover. Maybe I will just stick with what I got. Since I am old, my skin is thick. So if I don't look symmetrical like I used to - Oh Well. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla --I am no spring chicken eitherWoman Indifferent---and surgery for me at this age-- 68--is not something I care to go thru---so can understand. Just thought I would give my 2 cents on this topic--