Honored Contributor

Making progress (Hip replacement)

I am 6 weeks post of as of this past Saturday. I am making slow progress, but I am making progresses. My PT just cut me back to 2 times a week from 3, I have a PT that comes to my house, I want to keep my circle of contact small

I am still sleeping on the recliner, flat on my back which is leading to shoulder and headaches.

I am very leery about sleeping in my bed, but I do miss it. I am scared to navigate the bedroom for late night potty runs, I am afraid I will get all messed up in my covers.

I am making progress.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Making progress (Hip replacement)

Hang in there!  Recovering from major surgery is never a speedy process.  It is important to build back all your muscles and strengthen your body.

Perhaps you can use a European coverlet on your bed--it takes the place of sheets and blankets and is easy on and off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper 

What is a European Coverlet and what would be the purpose, sounds like a sleeping bag, I can not seem to find on on line

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Hang in there!  Recovering from major surgery is never a speedy process.  It is important to build back all your muscles and strengthen your body.

Perhaps you can use a European coverlet on your bed--it takes the place of sheets and blankets and is easy on and off.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

Your key words: "making progress". When recovering from a surgery an injury, or other very serious health issues! Time should not matter, progress seen and felt should be everyone's goal.

I am really happy to read this. Stay with what is working for you. And those late night runs? Be very, very careful!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear you are making progress.

Would night lights help you navigate during the night?  I don't have convenient wall outlets for nightlights, but I found a night lamp on Amazon.  It looks like a pretty vase and it sits on my dresser.  It takes a 4 watt night light bulb, and it is a plug-in.  Search "Ibis & Orchid night lamp"  on Amazon to see them.  I have one in my bedroom and one in my kitchen.  

Hang in there and keep on improving!!

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxo It's good news that you continue to make progress! @DottieBlue  's idea of keeping a light on sounds like a good idea. Would extra bed pillows or a memory foam pillow make the recliner more comfortable? When my mom had hip replacement surgery, she too slept on a recliner for a while.

When you feel ready for a bed again, would an adjustable bed frame be helpful? My mom had a queen one. She used  a queen bottom sheet but a twin top sheet and a twin blanket or a throw.

Take care and hang in there.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily  

We have two twin coverlets that we used when my hubby was recovering from his hip saga, I am using on on the sofa and I think when i go back to sleeping  in our bed we will use them for a while, less fabric to get messed up with

@Desert Lily wrote:

@I am still oxo It's good news that you continue to make progress! @DottieBlue  's idea of keeping a light on sounds like a good idea. Would extra bed pillows or a memory foam pillow make the recliner more comfortable? When my mom had hip replacement surgery, she too slept on a recliner for a while.

When you feel ready for a bed again, would an adjustable bed frame be helpful? My mom had a queen one. She used  a queen bottom sheet but a twin top sheet and a twin blanket or a throw.

Take care and hang in there.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox  glad to see you are progressing, sounds like you are doing well in your recovery 

Valued Contributor

That is good news.  I had TKR in January and was up and about quickly.  However when. I broke my femur I was in a rehab 7 weeks.  Takes time and patience.  Keep up the good work.