Trusted Contributor

MEDICARE PART D, HIGH PRESCRIPTION COSTS PLEASE LOOK INTO......

PAAD. I was reading a thread where posters, especially seniors, were complaining of how much prescriptions have gone way up. Please do yourself a favor if you are enrolled in Medicare Part D, please look into PAAD and LIFELINE. Google PAAD and it will give you the phone number to call to see if you qualify. There is an income bracket that you have to fit into but you may just be surprised, since it's not poverty level. My aunt is on this program and she owns a home. PAAD pays for your Medicare Part D costs, they will tell you which insurance companies they cover and will enrol you. Once you call them, they will send you forms to fill out then you will pay $3.00-$5.00 for your prescriptions. Prescriptions that cost her over $100, she only pays $5.00! You can also enroll in the LIFELINE PRORAM on the same form and once a year they send $200. To your Gas & Electric Co. I think she said they also have savings or pay for hearing aids and if you drive, I think for license fees. It will give you all the info on their website. It really upset me to read some of the stories of what people were paying for their prescriptions especially when they couldn't afford them. I don't know if this is offered in every state, my aunt lives in NJ but call and ask. It certainly won't hurt and hopefully you will qualify and a large burden will be lifted. GOOD LUCK AND DO IT! Search PAAD AND CALL!
Valued Contributor

Re: MEDICARE PART D, HIGH PRESCRIPTION COSTS PLEASE LOOK INTO......

My father - in -law was on PAAD many years ago. I don't know if it is still the same, but there was an income limit and also a limit on how much money you had in the bank. He ended up giving all his savings to his grandchildren so he could qualify for PAAD. (His grandchildren made good use of the money. It enabled them to have a down payment to purchase their own homes. They will always be grateful!)

Trusted Contributor

This is a New Jersey state plan. For those who live in NJ, here is some of the information I found. Too bad every state doesn't have this program.

Eligibility

General Requirements:

Proof of age (age 65 or older); disability (Social Security disability)and NJ resident

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

In California, there is a Prescription Drug Plan to go with Medicare called Humana-Walmart RX Plan (they are partnered up) and the monthly premium is around $15 a month ... the deductible is something like $300 a year for brand name. I don't know the other specifics.

Don't know about other states, but it's highly rated in CA. Maybe there's a version of this in your state. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Esteemed Contributor

Your income has to be poverty level to qualify.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/7/2015 straitgirl said:

Your income has to be poverty level to qualify.

The income level here in NJ for the Aged and Disabled is: Less than $26,575 single, $32,582 married For the Senior Gold Prescription Discount Program the income level is: Between $26,582 and 36,575 single, $32,582 and $42,582 married I'm sure there are many seniors and disabled people who would qualify and I wouldn't consider those amounts poverty for many of those who are in need. I wasn't aware that it was only a program in NJ but I'm sure other states may have similar programs for seniors and the disabled. I was only trying to help because I read some very disheartening stories on how people couldn't afford to pay for their prescriptions. Some don't even take their medicine because they can't afford to. This is a travesty for our seniors/disabled right here in our country and something needs to be done so they can get the help they need.