Contributor

Update on MRI/claustrophobia

Thanks to all who replied. I learned so much and hopefully so did others. I went to my new doctor yesterday. After seeing the arthritis in my knee from x-rays (which I already knew from first MD) he said he could go forward with a scope without an MRI. If there is something else wrong like a meniscus problem, he'll be able to see it and correct it as well. I'm scheduled for surgery Monday. Wish me luck! If anyone has had this surgery, please let me know your experience and what to look out for, etc. You're never told everything by the professionals, right???!!! I'm so thankful that I sought another opinion. The original MD could have done this also, plus it saves healthcare dollars. New MD also said he would give me a better anxiety med and/or so sedation if needed...but I was OK with going forward with the surgery. Let me know of your experiences, please. It's so helpful hearing from others.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on MRI/claustrophobia

Good news ! Best of luck on surgery day.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

I did not see the original thread, so sorry if this was already said. My DH has claustrophobia and cannot do a closed MRI. So he drives 60 miles to a center where they have an "open" MRI and has no problem having it done. It is totally worth the drive.

Honored Contributor

Have a great surgery! I cannot do closed MRI. no can do the ones around here are open (thank goodness) I would think that they would give you something for the anxiety if not

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I can't believe you think a doctor who is doing a surgical procedure instead of an MRI is a better physician.Good Heavens.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 sandy53 said:

I did not see the original thread, so sorry if this was already said. My DH has claustrophobia and cannot do a closed MRI. So he drives 60 miles to a center where they have an "open" MRI and has no problem having it done. It is totally worth the drive.

She is only having an MRI of her knee so only the leg would have been in the machine. The remainder of her body would have been outside, even the other leg.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand what the OP is saying. I have had many MRI's done. Recently had one done on both knees.

I am going to have to have both knees replaced (left one to start with).

My brother's girlfriend had her knee replaced on Tuesday. I know so many people who've had the operation. Not looking forward to it but terrible back pain for over 10 years and knee is terrible (can hardly walk), it's time.

I can understand how it makes people feel crazy in the tubes. I just close my eyes and think about wonderful things.

Often they will offer (if you tell them ahead of time) and come with someone a sedative (very mild tranquilizer) before.

Respected Contributor

I did not read the other thread. Sorry. But I had an MRI on my left knee TODAY and your legs are the only parts that are in the machine. Your head, torso is out. Of course, the noise is loud as heck, but they had me wear headphones and listen to music to try and drown it out. The worst part was just trying not to move. When they tell you to be still, all you want to do is move. HA!

Good luck with your surgery. Guess I will find out tomorrow if I will be joining you. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Maybe where she lives they don't have "open MRI' machines? Maybe if they only have "closed" ones (looks like a long tube) your whole body has to go in, even tho they are only looking at the knee??

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 lovestoteach said:

Maybe where she lives they don't have "open MRI' machines? Maybe if they only have "closed" ones (looks like a long tube) your whole body has to go in, even tho they are only looking at the knee??

No - if you are getting a knee MRI only the leg goes into the machine. When I had mine they gave me a foam wedge to rest my torso against OUTSIDE of the tube. Even my hips were not in there. Just the one leg - I was given a choice to either tuck my other leg under me or drop my foot on the other leg down to the floor - which is what I did.