Valued Contributor

A lisp is not caused by laziness . I have had a lisp all my life . It never bothered me until a teacher called attention to it in the fourth grade and sent me to special classes .My mom it . was very upset and angry . I t never bothetred me and I became very self concious about  it She and my dad took me out of the class . Mine was caused by a defect  in that little web part under your tongue , My mom would not let the doctors cut it because she felt it wasn't necesary and would be painful . I have never been made fun of and no one has ever said anything to me about it but this t . The teacher apologized and said the government was sending money to the school and needed to fill up the speech improvement class. . My lisp is slight and its not a big thing,

cathy from ma

Esteemed Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

A lisp is not caused by laziness . I have had a lisp all my life . It never bothered me until a teacher called attention to it in the fourth grade and sent me to special classes .My mom it . was very upset and angry . I t never bothetred me and I became very self concious about  it She and my dad took me out of the class . Mine was caused by a defect  in that little web part under your tongue , My mom would not let the doctors cut it because she felt it wasn't necesary and would be painful . I have never been made fun of and no one has ever said anything to me about it but this t . The teacher apologized and said the government was sending money to the school and needed to fill up the speech improvement class. . My lisp is slight and its not a big thing,

cathy from ma

@twinkies 

That's what I had removed when I was about 6, or so.

I remember it hurting for about a day or so, but it got rid of my lisp.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor
My parents sent me to a speech therapy for quite awhile in first grade. I pronounced chocolate. Like shocolate.I also couldn't pronounce my TH's properly.
Mixed up my numbers. Mild form of Dyslexia was the diagnosis. I have no problems with speech now.I still will get my numbers off occasionally. Not often.
Valued Contributor

That is great that it worked . I guess my parents were suemish about it . Anyway my lisp is so slight and hardly noticeable . My parents felt it was just so unnoticeable that it was better left alone . It never bothered me. 

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

My tongue was clipped as an infant for other reasons, but the doctor told my parents it would likely prevent speech problems later on as well.  

@nana59,  I am very surprised your grandson is 9, and this has not been addressed.   Both my daughters were flagged for further testing due to speech issues, when I enrolled them for kindergarten.  After a complete hearing exam, they were enrolled in speech therapy services 2-3x a week during their school day.  I even pushed for extended year services for one daughter, which required taking her to a summer school location 2x a week, but kept her from regressing over the summer.   The county must provide speech therapy services, and I made sure my daughters had the help they needed.

Honored Contributor

Back in my day..there were not any services...for my speech problem.

Now at my old age it is more advanced as my left jaw keeps poping out of plce..same with my right jaw  plus osteo arthritis.

My teeth no not ligh up properly and my dentist has been trying to help me.

I would be very hurt and upset it someone would make a comment to me....

my family and close friends have accepted me as i am...

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I like your suggestion.

@nana59 Any followup on what you decided to do about your grandson, if anything?

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@nana59 Any followup on what you decided to do about your grandson, if anything?

thank you for asking....i have been dealing with a reaction to Humira....doctor told me to stop due to side affects i'm having....haven't felt well enough to address the issue...but i will.....

Frequent Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

thank you for asking....i have been dealing with a reaction to Humira....doctor told me to stop due to side affects i'm having....haven't felt well enough to address the issue...but i will.....

Hope me you feel better soon @nana59.💖

Honored Contributor

@nana59 Thanks for the response. Hope all goes well. Heart